1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow thrower/plowing on smaller tractor

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sven1277, Dec 23, 2008.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I have a Kubota b7610 with a 60" blade for plowing (r4 tires). With the heated cab and weighted rear tires its around 2000lbs. I have used it for sidewalks and parking space cleanup after the storm the past few years. This year, however, I picked up a condo assoc that consists of 16 driveways, some long, some short, all have tight turnarounds and almost all are hilly. Originally, I thought the tractor with the blade would be ideal for this job because of its agility and visibility. But we just had a storm (8" in 8hrs) and it took way too long for the tractor to clear the drives. I have chains that I need to mount as my guy said traction was definately part of the problem. I am trying to decide the best solution, putting a truck on site to do the bulk moving and let the tractor do all the tight area work. The only problem is I don't want to lose a truck for this time if I don't have to. My other thought was a front mount snowthrower and keeping the tractor solo. I have never used a tractor snowthrower and realize they are slower, but for larger storms would this be a good solution?
  2. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

3. nosnownogo

nosnownogo Member

jd 2320

I have a jd 2320 with r4 tires a curtiss cab with heat and front end loader also a 54 inch rear mounted normand blower . You can use the blower like a push box (no power to the
    pto ) to move piles around before engaging the pto. I dont do steep inclines but very tight
    locations on frozen lawns with no traction problems

4. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

yeah an snow blower on tractor is a big help.. I have an 317 lawn tractor with 36 inch snowblower I have chains on back tires with weight it's a big help. yes it gets job done fast if it's wet hard snow from street my tractor can blow it good.. and leaves a nice clean side walk.

need an cab for my tractor! be sure blow snow down and away from wind and windows!
  5. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

How do you like the rear blower. I have a rotatiller and am constantly turning to see behind. It gets old.
  6. Owenservices

Owenservices Junior Member

i do a HOA with 26 driveays real tight area with a kubota g1900 with 48 inch blower does clean neat job and goes right threw everyhting me plus a shoveler approx 90 mins 6 inch storm....... little bit of a incline just have ag tires on back with a light works great
  7. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower

The only blower you will be able to get for your tractor quickly is rear rmount-if you have the three point hitch unless you intend to call every dealer in the states and canada for front mount for your 7610 and the mounting frame for the front.

The company that builds them(RAD) in canada for kubota is months behind in deliveries

You will be money and piece of mind ahead with a rear blower just make sure to tell the people you want to buy from about your tractor and whether it has hydraulics in the rear
    to move the spout and or tilt the spout end of the blower if you do no problem no worries

otherwise the back window in the Curtis cab will have to be opened and closed or taken out-dont know about that cab for your tractor though.

I would find every farm equipment dealer within a one hundred mile radius and start calling to see if they have a small three point blower for your size bota and go look with money in hand- stay away from the comets and meteor junk-

An off brand John deere, blower will work if it is rated for your size engine and PTO- the pronovost and normond are very good units-stay away from the chinese builders though in all seriousness- we have Kubota owner on the tractor bynet site with a comet and he is on the forth gear box in 2-3 years. All the european and canadian brands are built for snow and are solid so that is not an issue.

Also you will need another light or two on the cab roof- highwattage work lights from your kubota dealer or napa with the dealer installing them on the cab and wiring them -but if your handy and have the tools...

8. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I have a rear aux light on it. I am fortunate to have a great ag dealer nearby and will talk to them. I already have the frame for a front mount, same as for the blade. I definately like the idea of having a blade on the front and blower on the rear, its just the constant turning around.
  9. We have had good luck using front plows and rear blowers on tractor. Plow moves light snow fast and the blower gets the piles out of the way.
    On the one tractor we have with a front blower we use a rear blade to pull the snow away from garage doors and other places a blower won't work.
    Remember not all storms aren't 8+ inches. Plows work fast on light snows.
  10. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Ok, what's more powerful, a front or rear blower?
  11. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

What aftermarket brands are available for front mount that might be heavier duty?
  12. nosnownogo

nosnownogo Member

rear mount blower

Sven it is not that bad ,I am use to it used a mitsubishi compact no cab for 19 years . It is easier to turn towards the rightside of the tractor looking back and press on the reverse pedal than than turning towards the leftside. I was thinking of installing the jd front mount blower about the same price installed as a rear blower with hydraulic chute up/down and right /left .But i would loose the loader ,this option is very handy to remove hard pack stuck to asphalt.
  13. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I was thinking maybe a rear pull unit on the back and keep the blade up front. Normand has one small enough for my machine
  14. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower

whether a front or rear blower has more power is not an issue- the issue is if you have a mid mount PTO under the tractor for a mower-but as i said earlier unless you start calling every kubota dealer in the country and canada you will not get one anytime soon as the manufacturer is months behind in its orders as they build blowers for several brands.

The problem with the pull types is simply that they will toss and pack snow under and in the rear of the tractor and unles you have a warm garage with a salamander you may have problems with the hydraulics from packed and snow- dont forget the tractor is hot and the snow and ice will be a magnet.

every implement loses a bit of energy due to the power take off shaft delivering the rotary energy to the gear box or belt pulley etc.

The gear box takes the rotary energy delvered by the pto shaft and transmits it to the horizontal auger with a shaft driven chain drive and and to the fan unit so a small amount is lost due to the gear reduction.
  15. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I run two Hew hollands. There 24TCD tractors with cab and front mount blowers. For me - that is the only way to go. I also have skids, a 5 trucks with plows but these machines do every residential drive and walks I have. There powerful, easy to move and to the most part get in pretty tight areas. If the areas are to tight - hand shovel or get one the 6 walk behind snow blowers.

i have had rear mounted in the past due to more power and less money but I was so sore after 12 - 20 hours looking backwards alday that it was no more.