1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow thrower or Tractor and plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oldschoo, Nov 30, 2007.

1. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

I'm debating now on wether to invest in a 8.5 hp 26 inch 2 stage thrower or a tractor with a 48 inch plow attatched. I'm thinking I can get an old used tractor for pretty cheap this time of year ( a lawn mowing tractor), maybe $300-500. In this pamphlet it states that their truck plows remove snow 50x faster than a snow thrower. So I was thinking that if a truck plow can do that, then I could probably at least do it 4-5x faster with a 48 inch plow and tractor. Which way should I go?
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

how big's the driveway? Those tractors with plows can only do so much, they work, but, they're not going to stack very well, and they can't push very much without slipping. Sure, you may be able to do it faster in one storm of 2", but put them up against each other in 6+ inches and the snowblower will win hands down. You'd have to constantly keep up with a storm with one of those tractors.....IMO, get a NICE snowblower....

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

a Real tractor with a plow is pretty fast.
    a "lawn mowing tractor" is well pretty worthless with more than 2 or so inches.
    it doesn't weigh enough to move teh snow.

get a big snowblower.
  4. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

Get a John Deere!
  5. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Well I'm not talking about a BIG tractor, just some cheap used mower/tractor for $300-500. But IT's looking like I should go with the snow thrower. If a tractor and blade will only be good for 2 inches, that's no good. I'm sure most times I'm out it will be for accumulations of at least 4-8 inches or more.
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Definately go with the snowblower. More versatile. Your garden tractor will be useless in anything more than a couple inches, even with chains. I have a 41 hp tractor and, given the option, I'd rather have a blower on it than a plow. Maybe for different reasons, but I'd still rather have a blower.
  7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I have a John Deere lawn tractor and it works pretty well. It can plow upto about 3" and doesn't stop until it starts to slip. Once it slips there is no hope for it. I have 100 lbs. of weights on the back and chains, so it rarely gets stuck. It stacks OK, but not great. You really have to think about how to plow before you do. Getting off the angle the blade is a pain as well. I can plow up hills, pretty much anything, but if I were you, I'd go with the snowblower. What about a tractor with a snowblower attatchment?
  8. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Thanks guys for all your ideas. I think I can make a better purchasing decision now.
    Looks like the snow blower is going to win out over the tractor/plow idea. 2-3 inches isn't very much help.
  9. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I think you are making the right move. I use mine just to play around with. i've completely restored my 160 and just tossed a plow on for fun. I plowed 2" of sleet today without an issue and no chains, but if you get an 8" storm you will be out several times compared to the one time that you need to take a blower out for. I only used mine today because it doesn't dig into my long gravel driveway like the bigger tractor does.
  10. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I have a plow on my truck for commercial accounts and one on my lawn tractor for my driveway... I actually have a good system... My driveway is about 2 cars wide and 150 feet long. I back my tractor in my garage and leave all of the cars off the driveway when it snows (tractor doesnt do well with packed down tire tracks) I have a good system, before I go out to plow I clean off my driveway with the tractor. Its a 4 year old Craftsman 2000 series 22 hp with a 48 inch blade... It will plow up to about 8 inches no problem is long as you keep up your momentum (no chains and me as ballast - all 300 pounds of me).... I push the snow and then back up over the cleared portion.... I can actually clear my driveway better with my tractor then my dodge because i dont tear up my lawn... I do it cause its fun, my snow blower just does my walkways... My wife caught me yesterday doing donuts with the tractor in the street...

Quick funny story... When I bought my blade for my tractor the guy at sears recommended wheel weights... He says that it really improves the plowing and worked wonders for his driveway... I said to him what do you weight and he said 150 pounds, and the wheel weights total 100 pounds... I said guy, I think I will save my money cause me alone outweighs you and your wheel weights by about 50 pounds and I walked away...

I am considering getting chains though,this way ii dont get stuck driving over my grass...