1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Thrower and Hydraulic GPM

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by WPG3UT, Jan 23, 2012.

1. WPG3UT

WPG3UT Junior Member

So i have been throwing snow with a 2001 John Deere this year with a FFA 72" snow thrower and it has mainly worked well... JD capacity is 15 GPM and the thrower is rated between 14 and 22 GPM.. Tomorrow i am getting a Cat 2007 248b with a minimum GPM of 22 and with High Output of 33 GPm. My question is will there be a noticeable difference with the higher gpm running the snow thower...

2. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Yes, there should be a remarkable difference, the older JDs were not known for their flow rates or PSI. One word of caution, if the blower only has 2 hose hookups (which I presume it will with those flow rates) do not put it into high flow. The third hose is a case drain, and is needed for high flow operation from my understanding.

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

The hi flow will tear the hydraulic motor on the blower apart. On a Cat the hi flow is activated in the wire connection, 2 pins are jumpered together. So you can use both standard flow and hi flow attachments on a hi flow machine.

4. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

I suspect he may have already done that - his original message was a day before I replied. Good to know about the Cat, my Bobcat does that too, but you can override it.

5. WPG3UT

WPG3UT Junior Member

Hi Flow

The Cat 248b has a switch that controlls Auxillary hydraulics that either operates in High flow or Standard flow. We are getting a harness from FFC to attach to the electical connection on the Cat. So for this harness/ Thrower it shouldnt allow a high flow from the Cat.
    Hopefully it work out well....
    Thanks for posts......

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Right you have the switch but it needs the 2 pins jumpered to complete the circuit to actually operate in hi flow