1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow stuck in dump box!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snownofear, Oct 20, 2013.

1. snownofear

snownofear Junior Member

I have had a lot of trouble with snow freezing or sticking to my dump truck box! I have used a few different things but would like to know what others use.?
  2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

This was discussed in detail last year. Might try to find thread, I forgot how it was titled.
  3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Diesel fuel
  4. snownofear

snownofear Junior Member

I hear that not sure the place I dump would like that how often do you have to spray it in their?
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think that was the title...... he he

Besides its illegal but a excellent product.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Used motor oil works great, granted its probably not the most environmentally safe.
  8. Iawr

Iawr Senior Member

Cooking oil, spread with pushbroom, do before each event. once its trapped in there a heated pressure washer gets it it wonderfully
  9. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Use diesel fuel. You only need to do it once and it will last the entire night and sometimes longer. Just dump a few quarts and swap it around with a broom or do like we do and use a 2 gallon pump sprayer and just spray it on. Make sure that the body is clean to begin with, no dirt caked up in the corners etc... It will cause it to stick and will just snowball from there.
  11. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

For the tree hugger friendly, maybe a gallon of Wesson oil broomed around the trailer would do.

But for those that need to get it done now, a couple quarts of diesel spread thruought the trailer and broomed around will haul a lot of loads. In the reality of things, more diesel fuel is spilled at each pump in a month then what you are putting in your trailer.

Concrete guys have been known to spray their forms with it. Asphalt guys spray their trucks with it.

I might even have witnessed a truck and trailer at a fuel station with the hose nozzle back in the trailer - good thing Al Gore wasn't driving by :yow!:
  12. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

The hell with the EPA, Diesel fuel it is!
  13. snownofear

snownofear Junior Member

Would rhino lining my box do any good?
  14. PlowSlick.com

PlowSlick.com Senior Member

Our Plow-Slick coating is MUCH cheaper than Rhino-Liner and will work better than any other product out there. Plow-Slick has been Salt Spray tested for over 5000 hours and prevented blistering and corrosion on the metal below.

As for diesel fuel, setting aside the EPA/tree hugger issues, applying Plow-Slick 1 time per season is cheaper than applying diesel fuel all season long.
  15. snownofear

snownofear Junior Member

Interesting, apply once and it is good for all year huh? It says u can apply in upper 30's we are dang near our last 35* days anymore can u apply when it's colder?
  16. PlowSlick.com

You would need to put the truck in a garage and heat up the Plow-Slick to around 70F. The coating would take at least 36 hours to cure in the low 30's but if you fire up a torpedo you can probably get it to dry in 24 hours.

17. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Fuel works no matter what the temp is, you don't have to take two days to bring the truck up to temp and it doesn't have to dry.

You say it lasts all season...........I bet Plow Slick doesn't stand up to having sand, stone, gravel, salt put in and dumped out of the dump box does it? For the record fuel won't either.
  18. PlowSlick.com

Thought we were talking about snow, ice and salt?

It's not bullet proof but either way I would put it to the test because it is the most durable non-stick coating on the market.
  19. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I think what big dog means is you will have to prep the box each season for the plow slick where as diesel it don't matter what you have been hauling in the off season. Power wash the dirt out of the box then spray your diesel once your box is dry.
  20. PlowSlick.com

Oh, I see. Hopefully you won't be hauling grass clippings or leaves in the off-season. Hell of a fire when mixed with diesel.

Did I mention that Plow-Slick is self extinguishing?