1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow storm - charging full price twice ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by RonWin, Nov 28, 2011.

1. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

sooner or later this year there'll be a storm that will go for hours and the people im plowing out want they're places plowed out early so they can make it to work. Now if and when I do plow them out and the storm persists to dump down more snow, how am I suppose to charge them? (disclaimer) - the people i am working for I do not use a contract or anything with them. I told them my price to clear they're drive way with a wet 2'' or 3''+ trigger. These people are neighbors of my parents and so how should i go about this? I will not bend over backward to give them a great deal, just wondering how many of you guys work regarding to all day/morning snow storms.

2. nick4634

nick4634 Member

I use a snow blower so my numbers are a little different but I basically charge everytime I come by. I have a 8 inch trigger and anything over that I come by and clear it twice and then charge twice. Some people need to be cleared at a certain time even if theres only 4 inches down, and then I would charge them for that clearing and again when the storms over or if it hits 12 in. During really big storms 18+ inches, I'll charge people 3 times but that doesn't happen too often

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

We plow twice, we charge twice. Always.

4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Sweet! I'd like to get my seasonal customers to agree to that... payup

5. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Most people I would hope would notice that you have plowed them out so they can get to work and will not have a issue with you doing it again. I would call them trew the day and ask them if they would like you to hit it again before they arive back home if your not going to have them sign contracts. other wise its a normal I plow after some many inche by such an such times.

6. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

Sounds good, i think the best thing i'll take away from this is that I will give the people a heads up about charging them again if I have to plow twice. These people are loyal to me and wont screw me over or march off to someone else. thanks again guys

7. BHISNOWMAN

BHISNOWMAN Member

Full plow every 2"-6" or part of. Gas, insurance and labor cost money.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I even plow when they are not home so it could be 3 plows before they get back home. No discounts .

9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

everytime I plow someone its a charge and the trigger to come 2 times and above is 8 inches

10. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

do u guys charge more depending on the amount of snow down? And if you had someone call you up with a drive way that hasnt been touched for a month and is 12+ high, what would u recomend

11. Brownboots

Brownboots Junior Member

If you get called to do a driveway that hasn't't been touched then you have to figure how many times you would gone there with the amount of snow on the ground then charge them. Some people only want to be plowed once no matter how big the storm is (usually around ten inches they start calling looking to get plowed even if its still snowing) and others get plowed every so many inches. You just need to have a agreement with your customers on what they want and at what price you will plow them for each time. The one time plow agreement I don't like because of safety. People needing to get out in case of emergency or emergency people trying to get in.

12. BHISNOWMAN

BHISNOWMAN Member

Charge by the depth (ex. 2-6" 1 plowing. If it's 9" and you can do it in 1 push you still charge twice. If you go back twice you also charge twice to clear the 9")

13. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

That should have been discussed when they "signed up" with you.

For the 7: AM i go and plow only a path from garage to the street, so they can get out. Later I do the turnarounds and widen the driveway

14. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I did one of these my first year plowing, and went back a second time the next year. I am just glad I didn't break anything. Stay away from these ice packed frame breakers. They can't pay me enough to plow one of these again.:realmad::mad::realmad:

15. peterng

peterng Senior Member

factor it into your seasonal per or charge per. Different everywhere. Here it snow over 2" on average 18 times a year. 4 of them warrant 2 shoves and 1-2 average 3 shoves.

Makes for some easy math :)
    Pete

16. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

8" trigger? Life is good eh

17. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

New here, sorry about the thread jacking but, I have been reading about triggers and have no idea what that means. What's a trigger?
    -Russ:waving:

18. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

A trigger is the minimum amount of snow that you will perform services usually plowing and usually about 2".

19. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

if i plow twice i charge twice, om my contracts i have a clearing fee, then below that i have a clearing fee with salting, then below that i have just a salting fee,and then below that i have a sidewalk clearing and salting fee, it just depends on what they want but when i drop the plow to push they are charged a full clearing fee. i even charge my inlaws( but of course they pay in hot coffee) which is fine by me and they are along the route which makes it nice early in the morning.