1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow sticking

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ultimateinc, Jan 13, 2011.

1. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

do you guys use or know of any material to put on your plows so snow doesnt stick to them so bad ? i get so much snow stuck on my plows and even when we bang them against the ground it doesnt wanna come off. anything you guys recommend on using on them ?
  2. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Wax good ole wax will do the trick.
  3. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Dont let the tree huggers read this. Good ole Diesel Fuel
  4. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

thank you ill throw some one
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Fluid Film is the best
  6. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i tried flrid film a couple years ago, it worked for the first lot or two but that was it. do you have to keep treating it or what?
  7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe you didn't put enough on. I have treated my plows with Fluid Film for several years, and it seems to last 2 to 3 events per treatment. I know I am not a huge contractor by any means, but I plow about 14 acres worth per event, so I think it works pretty well. I know it has given me better results, then pam, wd/40 or diesel fuel has done in the past.
  8. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

Yes you will need to reapply as required. How long the film stays on depends on the snow, weight, moisture etc.
  9. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

who cares? your just gunna get more snow on it?
  10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Silicone spray.
  11. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Fluid Film. Apply liberally. To the whole plow. Both sides. The whole truck actually. Well, that's what I do. :)
  12. Sp3cialized

Sp3cialized Member
    from CT

I think the Western part has something to do with it.. lol

All I do is go spray my truck down at the carwash after storms and the last coat is the high pressure wax.
  13. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I bought my first can of fluid film this week before the snow but forgot to apply it, heard great things about it so I can't wait to try it
  14. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

WAX, car wax.
    Thats all you need, I put it on about once every 2 or 3 years and have no problem with snow sticking.

I tried that fluid film stuff once and was not a bit impressed by it. A meyers dealer told me about it and said he was selling quite a bit of it. when I went back to him, I told him I won't be buying any more of it. I just didn't find that it worked like they claim.
  15. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

ya i have done wax in the past, it worked pretty good. i'm gonna try the fluid film thing again, just picked up a can this morning. already sprayed plow. we are supposed to get snow tonight so hopefully i can try it out.
  16. RobE

RobE Junior Member
    from RI

This is what I use. CRC Silicone spray is $2.17/can from Walmart.
  17. Sp3cialized

Sp3cialized Member
    from CT

x100 FF is a croc if you're looking for legit anti-stick protection. Maybe it's good for something else, though.

18. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

A wax candle is all you need. Heat it up just a tiny bit each time you rub it on the plow. I do it on my ATV plow, snow blower chute and the shovels. FF is a joke. I tried it in the past and it didn't last but a day if that. I found the wax lasts 10x longer and it's THE cheapest means of preventing snow from sticking.
  19. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

As an experiment (I was skeptical) I tried FF this year for the first time. Did a test on my 9' HLA pusher, sprayed half - liberally - with FF, left the other half without anything. Snow stuck to the FF side, not the other side first time out.

Nuff said.

Might make a good rust preventer on your truck/plow, but sure doesn't keep the snow from sticking. Rust preventers are designed to be tacky so they stay on the metal - exactly the opposite that you would want for your plow....
  20. D&E

D&E Senior Member

Snowboard wax. Works great and makes the most sense to me, especially on a poly blade.