1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Sticking to plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rrs26ja, Dec 27, 2002.

1. rrs26ja

rrs26ja Junior Member

I am new to plowing. I have a 1997 Chevy K1500 with a 7 1/2 ft Fisher minute mount installed. Christmas day I plowed, and could not keep the snow from sticking to the plow. Any ideas?

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Your not alone, this storm was nasty,and its is not normal.If this was your first time plowing and you did OK,then you are going to be fine. I usually never have problems with snow sticking-it usually isnt a problem.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Ditto. This snow was crazy. I carried around a moldboard full all day. Couldn't seem to get it to knock off. Really unusual as I keep mine waxed to keep the snow sliding off. Also, kept getting stuck - something else that the Dodge just doesn't do. I keep reading about all the plow guys who got stuck this one. Picture in the paper about a municipal plower with ten years experience who dropped one wheel off the road and landed on its side.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You'll find that happens with the wet snow we had on Christmas. Sometimes so much accumulates that the pump doesn't want to pick the plow up. I carry a shovel to scrape when this happens. I haven't had a chance to ask my driver, but I think the poly moldboard plows are less apt to do this.

5. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

This is what most people on the coast have to deal with every storm :eek: .

6. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Pelican

Glad to hear that I was not the only one with sticking snow problems. I have a Meyer 8' Poly. My up control was not making contact all the time. I also had to use a shovel to remove the sticking snow from the blade. Went to my dealer today,got a new switch, and complained about the lifting power. He checked the opperating pressure on my hoist and it was 500 lbs lower then recomended. A new switch, couple of minior adjustments and it seems to be OK. Let it snow, I want to try it out.

Gene

7. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

I was carrying around some extra weight for the last 3 days from all the snow that was sticking to the plow. Very bad.

-Tim

8. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I buy a couple of Cans of PAM cooking spray and just before a storm I spray the moldboard.

It usually helps out.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

One of my accounts is a car wash,i get free washes during the storm,we alwasy coat the plow blade with liquid wax,this time it didnt even help at all,it still stuck like crazy.