1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow sticking to Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hyperpack, Oct 29, 2002.

1. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

What works to keep snow from sticking to plow and bucket?
    I bought snow plow wax from DW Davies, I think it is mineral spirits doesnt do much.I have used commercial floor wax lasts most of the night but is a pain to apply.
    The old county plow driver tells me about some heavy pink paste he used back in the 60's worked well.
    Something that could be applied before use then reapplied as needed while plowing would be great.

Thank you Hyperpack

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Do a search and see what comes up, this was discussed last year. If I recall correctly, guys were using some different sprays, such as WD-40 and some using Pam cooking spray.

-John

3. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

try some of that really greasy tire shine. I had a bottle of that last year that i wanted to get ridda cuz it sucked on the tires and it worked great as a plow lube. i think it was black magic. It was a really thick one and worked wonders. Ive used WD-40 too.

Jay

4. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

I've tried WD-40 but didn't have any luck. The snow stuck just as much as before. It's a big problem on those days when the snow is wet and tends to stick even more. It builds up a layer of ice that is tough to scrape off. Plow can get kinda of heavy too.

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Not the most environmentally friendly products.... but I have been told that furniture polish works VERY well.

I have always used silicone wax myself. Several coats a few times a season. Snow sticking to the plow has not been a common problem here. It only happens occassionally (once in 10 plowings). I know for some of you it is a constant problem.

WD-40 is *I think* 0.01% silicone.... Read the label. I know it is very low.

~Chuck

6. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I use Pam cooking spray, and I think it helps.

Some days I think nothing will really help though.

7. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

I tried the sno-way stuff you spray on and was not happy, within an hour the blade was full. Snow sticking annoys me SO bad.

Just a thought, can we come up with a type of heated plow? Or something to vibrate the snow off. (someone will probably get rich off this idea, so just remember me when you do:D lol)

8. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

Ok I ust got a magazine in the mail from Mill Supply and they have a non stick poly plow liner that attaches to the front of the plow. Has anyone ever used anything like this? If not I may try this. Heck its only $50.00. I will attach a pic.:nono:

plow liner.jpg

9. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

Just a thought for you to ponder -- I bought four of those plastic (?) or hard rubber mud flaps (non-corrosive too) for a semi-trailer. I had to cut off the right length to tuck the lower edge behind the cutting edge and so the upper fit right up under the snow deflector along the top of the blade. I drilled and countersunk some holes here and there on the surface and bolted them down and since they are two feet wide, they fit perfectly across my 8' blade. Have had no problems except once when I had to take them off to clean out behind them a little bit -- and that was only after I'd used the plow in the summer to clean out the corrals a little and had piled manure with it, so I guess that was reasonable. --from Montana where we have lots of drought but no snow.