1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow sticking to Nighthawk headlights! >:(

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Steve000, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Steve000

Steve000 Junior Member

Does anyone else have a problem with excessive snow building up on their Nighthawk headlights? Towards the end of last years plowing season I seemed to notice it more with the wet snow. It was becoming a big problem as I kept having to pull over at night and wipe the headlights down quite often in that heavy, wet snow. I tried spraying WD-40 on them thinking the snow may slide off better but that didn't work. I have a HID kit installed but I don't think there would be that much of a temperature difference to cause the snow to stick any more than a regular bulb. Any ideas are appreciated.
  2. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

stay home when its snowing. problem averted!
  3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

It happens to all my plows with the Nighthawks. They just don't hold enough heat inside the lamp to melt snow off the lens. It's definitely one drawback to the newer style lights.
  4. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

glad i read that! i will not be upgrading from the closed lamp assembly
  5. Take some fluid film on a rag and buff it in to the lens and wipe off the extra
  6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Or Rain-X.
  7. R.P.M

R.P.M Junior Member

you can also try pam spray .......
  8. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

That's actually a good application for Fluid Film. I've gotten good feedback from that one.