1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow stake installation productivity question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rich414, Oct 30, 2010.

1. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

today we installed 800 of the angelo's 1/4" by 4 feet road edge markers in 6.5 hours over a 2.5 mile stretch of road. each stake needed a hole drilled with a hammer drill through the shoulder edge base or asphalt. We ordered 1000 more to complete the job over the 3.5 mile subdivision road, plus a few residences. we should have some left over for next year.

Is this a good productivity rate?
  2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

how many of you were working on it ? That would suck having to drill a hole for every stake!
  3. leon

leon Senior Member

Thats normal Rich

It takes longer plugging in zoysia grass plugs with a small bulb planting bit

The problem is the stakes.

Using a propane powered fence post driver it only takes a minute or less to drive the T posts and remove them using a T post puller

You could use 5 foot Steel T fence posts and reuse them every year.

Even using the less expensive t posts(which I dont recommend) it will take you less time to install them and more time to remove them with a Tpost puller

as the T post pullers are not expensive and do work well with simple leverage.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

why can't you just put the stakes 1' off the road in the road base/drainage/whatever and realize that the road is 1' closer than the stakes?
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

LoneCowboy is exactly right. Place the stakes a predetermined measurment off the road. I have used these stakes for years, and if you put them right in your plow line, you will break off everyone of them. I always place them 1 to 1.5 feet away so I don't bury them the first time I plow. They also go in real easy if you make a guide for them and just hammer them in the ground. I have a post on here if you search for it, with instructions on how to build an inexpensive guide.
  6. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

RC- I'm interested in your stake guide, but can't find the thread you're referring to. Any chance you could re-post your method? Thanks in advance!
  7. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

it takes one person to drive the truck with the generator and the other to drill and install each stake. He had to DRILL each hole for the stake and position each stake to best identify where the road edge is. This is a VERY windy subdivision road. This is the third year that we have installed the stakes and the 4th year that I have plowed the road, the first year I was always getting stuck, the stakes are a MUST!
  8. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Guys great idea, and this is exactly what I would have done if the road was properly constructed with shoulders. In some place the ditch has undermined the road, in some places the ditch is 4 feet way, in some places there is no ditch..... this is the only way to do it, and yes last year I broke 100 plus stakes and probably buried 200 on the first wet snow plow/fall.

The first year we tried to hammer the stakes into the ground, the stakes just splintered, then we tried to hammer a steel rod, pull the rod out and install the stake, this takes tooooo much energy when you have 1000 stakes to install and if there is a rock in the location you have to start all over again, Hammer drill is the easiest way to do this.
  9. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

10. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

"T" stakes dont go through the blower very well....HomeDepot just had 6' T stakes for $4.10 each, that would have been $4,100 in T stakes and them we need some place to store them in the summer, plus there is a liability on my part is someone runs off the road and a stake damages their car...What would 1000 6 foot T stakes weigh????
  11. leon

leon Senior Member

snow stakes and vampires

No, they dont go through blowers very well but the make a lot of noise.

The high quality heavy ones are 10 pounds or so each, they go into the ground as deep as you want them to go with the propane hammer.

The six footers will not bend over and be consumed willingly Rich as a foot or more of it is in the ground.

Your bob cat will not be able to easily hit or eat them as the relief valve would kick in or a shear pin would go first.
  12. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

First things first, I sharpen the end of my stakes to a point on a belt sander. I use a large floor mounted one, but that is what I have. I am sure you can use a bench type, or even a hand held one if it has a trigger lock. I then determined that by putting the stake in the ground 8 inches is plenty. So I took a piece of 1/2 inch conduit and cut it to 40 inches long. Then I took some scrap pieces of a pex type tubing that fits inside the conduit. I make my pex pieces about 8 inches long. Then I split the pex in half 4 inches down then again in quarters. Insert the pex into the conduit with the split ends sticking out of the conduit. Then I took the split ends and bend them down around the edges of the conduit and using electric, or duct tape, I wrapped the conduit and pieces of the pex several times to build up a nice knob on the top of the conduit. Then turn the conduit over and do the same thing again. It keeps the fiberglass stakes from bowing while trying to drive them in. I just use a 20 ounce framing hammer ( smooth face) and drive the stakes in. If you drive them to the top of the conduit each time, all of your stakes are at the same height, and they stand up nice and straight. Over all the lots look very professional each and every time.
  13. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

in this photo you can see that the bar ditch is at the edge of the road and is actually undermining the road. if you go off the road in this location you will need another truck to pull you out. I have been in this ditch before, you cant winch to the trees because you will pull them over.. below you can see my mini, I am moving the bar ditch 3 feet away from the road edge... the problem is that there is 3 miles of crappy construction like this and NO money to fix the problem. I am moving the ditch as a need to the subdivision as I live in it. In some places there is bed rock that needs to be dug jack-hammered out. more money....

so I hope that this photo better explains why installing the stakes is such a need, big deal and a pain in the a$$l!!

IMG_4445 small.jpg
  14. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

another photo

IMG_4447 small.jpg
  15. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Rich I get your problem, and totally understand why you would need to drill each one. I would think you would go for thicker (3/8) and taller (5 foot) stakes. Those 1/4 inch stakes when you wind row, will just end up bending over and lost for the season. I did a short road around 2 miles long and found the 3/8 inch perfect. I even had them install refective tape on the tops go I can see them better. I leave them there all year, and the clients dont complain because it helps them drive the road at night.
  16. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

I would stick with the 1/4's until the snow flies and then install something more robust, "if needed" once there are snow banks to stick them in.
  17. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I was going to buy the 3/8"x5' they cost 2x what anglos is selling the 1/4"x4.
    last year I lost half of them with wet snow like you say above, then when I blew there went the bent over stakes through the blower. so the plan for this year is dont plow the snow into the stakes. On the the first blower run this will establish the edge of the road. from then on plow to the stakes as they should have enough snow around them to not bend over. then blow the snow off the road...
    With over 1500 stakes installed, installng reflective taps on each stake is NOT an option, we tried glitter and clear spray paint.. that was dumb...A reflective material would be great, but have not found a cost effective application....
  18. Neige

Neige Sponsor

A guy here buys reflective tape and cuts into strips. He then folds it over the pin and sticks it back to back. I will take a pic this afternoon. Probably costs 10 cents each.
  19. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Here is the photo of the guy installiing the stakes. His wife is driving, I am sitting here, having a beer and posting stuff....

20. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Here are the pics I promised. Its not much but I am sure it makes a difference, especially in a driving snow storm.