1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Spotter

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dfdsuperduty, Nov 18, 2008.

1. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

Does anyone know of a spotter service like the national weather service or NOAA that can send text message to advise when triggers are met??
  2. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

weather.com sends me a text when it is supposed to snow before it snows no totals or anything that would be real nice though
  3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Are you that lazy? I guess it would save gas and time and what not but you mind aswell have them get surface temps for you to.
  4. big acres

big acres Senior Member

I heard there is a guy locally who sits up all night watching the weather and placing calls to a couple of snow companies... business opportunity?

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

i think that would be cool as i have a bldg i have to maintain 5o miles from me and just because im in balls deep snow doesnt mean they are imo
  6. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

Not lazy however just to give you an example 3miles from me got hit with 6"+ last night and i didn't even get a dusting at my house. Again it goes back to what this site is intended for share information and ask questions. Since it seams that you have all the answers maybe you should write a book and sell it, this way there would be no need for plowsite since we could just buy your book and have all the answers it was just a question.
  7. KGRlandscapeing

My point of say are you thats lazy, was if you dont drive the route to spot check even if ur service could some how tell you when u meet triggers. You would still have to mobilize a crew 15 mins toload up at a minimum and then drive time. I dout it would be anymore cost effective then sending a guy loaded out to have a look see.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Nice, you sound like me. LMAO

Not sure if there is what you want. I subscribe to DTN's Weather Sentry that will send text messages when snow is forecast or any other trigger I desire. You can even set it for different temps. Location specific too.

It also gives me access to their radar software, which has a distance tool so I can determine start and stop times for precip. That function right there makes it worth the annual fee.

And yeah, I am lazy, and wanting to use technology to my advantage when its cost effective.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You're close enough to Lake Erie to know that lake effect can be a PITA, so the guy is trying to find something to make him more efficient and service his customers better, I wouldn't call it lazy.

It's called working smarter, not harder.
  10. KGRlandscapeing

When the lake dosent freeze its all we deal with. I can have 6inchs in the front yard and none in the back. Its just that i dout any weather service would have an idea of whats going on. Ill i know is that all of the large companys run spotters. And i guess that could be because of zero tolerance and presalting.