1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow spilling with loader pusher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DirtyJerzey, Nov 8, 2012.

1. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

Last night we got to use our new loader with pusher. Ive used pushers on skids thousands of times though never a larger pusher and never a loader. Loader pushed the wet heavy slop like a champ. However I was constaly getting spillage out the sides of the pusher. Is this more likely because we were plowing 4" of pure slush? The pusher would fill up and once full slush was just moving to the sides. I ended up parking all machines with skids and just stayed with plows as at least with the plows you could windrow the slop out of the way. With the pushers, you were constantly going over the same spot again and again.

So adjustment issue or simply because we were pushing wet slushy slop?

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

That's normal with pushers, make sure the box is level is all you can do. The only real solution is expensive something like a HLA plow, their awesome.... But you pay for it. I haven't been able to justify the cost, commercial work here keeps going cheaper every year, guys running cheapest oldest stuff they can "get by" with. Then add in the insurance issues. I'm leary putting any money into the commercial equipment because my insurance company at some point is going to "non-renew" all commercial snow operations, & other coverage is pricey if avaiable at all Once coverage is gone we are all in a world of crap....the only ones that will be around once the issues come to light are the ones that kept debt under control, or had other ways of paying on their debt.

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've never plowed a box (no pun intended), but I would think when they fill up the snow has to go somewhere and it is going to spill out. With slush being so heavy it isn't going to pile up into the pusher like drier snow.

4. DirtyJerzey

That is what I assumed. With all the "studies" done implying how much time pushers save, last night made me very leary. The pushers with the slush we indeed creating more work, not saving anything

5. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

That when patients and learning how to crowd the snow pays off. You think that's bad you should try pushing pond muck with a dozer. Each snow is different so it sounds like you just to spend more time in the seat to figure out what will work best for you.

6. DirtyJerzey

I agree. I was concerned as Ive never had that much spill over before in my skid steers with pushers. Then again ive also never pushed long pushes of slop with a pusher either.

thanks for the info everyone

7. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

thats cool u were able to plow, here just flurries ugh, on the other side of the coin i'm ready for the next one!!!

8. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

you will love the pusher in no time. i run four of them here in Ct and theres no way to even match the moving capacity of a pusher with a truck, or even multiple trucks. We actually have two trucks follow our loader just to scrape the crumbs or spill off into one windrow again. when it comes to deep dry snow the pusher will literally move mountains for you!

9. DirtyJerzey

I could see the poetential in it last night, but for the 2" of water I was pushing underneath the 3" of snow it was just a mess.

I use skid pushers for driveways and smaller lots and Ive loved it. This particular lot is a wide open 11acre site and I was pushing clear across the whole lot, of course making leaving a trail of run off to the sides

10. wcb607a

wcb607a Junior Member
    from NJ

i was told be my insurance company that soon they will be insuring snow companies by how many trucks they use. Each truck will be $1800 each for snow insurance.