1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Slicer... Who Uses It?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by diesellandscape, Dec 19, 2010.

1. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

Anyone on here have any 1st hand experences with central salts snow slicer?

Within 5 miles of my shop theres prob. 100-150 landscapers-snow removal companies. It seems like every year theres more and more. I'm looking to find something that can really be a selling point for us (my company), that no one in my area really offers. Im looking into a product that i can charge a little more per app, explain why, and provide less applications which would help on seasonals, and per service accounts. I also am looking for less damage on our equiptment.

Heres where im at as far as cost and usage... I currently pay about 78/ton to my shop for bulk rock salt. I usually go thru about 4 tons of salt per application to all of my accounts. So far this year im at 50-60 tons. Im also buying calc. for the sidewalks wich is adding up very fast. (with drifts & long storms im applying close to 1000lbs an acre)

Ive looked into magic salt, but the cost per ton is right around 110-115 and ive heard some batches are good and some rock up as soon as it gets cold.

After talking to the rep from central in my area im thinking about giving it a try, but i havent heard anything from the people who use it 1st hand. Any opinions would be nice, but im looking for the people that use it! also my cost on that is 98.50/ton. My rep claims that 600-700lbs an acre will be safe for me...

Thanks and excuse my spelling

2. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

a 22 ton load of treated bulk is about 4 yards less than a 22 ton of untreated salt. It does work well though. much better than magic IMO.

3. mustangmike45

mustangmike45 Member

i got a load of it this year. it seems to work good but i had problems with it freezing in the poly hoppers at temps below about 10 degrees. also it has a lot of fine powder in it and after 12 tons or so it will start to gum up the spreaders and you have to rinse them out. it makes a good sidewalk salt and we will switch back to clearlane for the lots as it didn't freeze or gum up the spreaders.

4. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I used snow slicer last year and again this year. I will not use any other. Its freeze point is well below regular rock salt and my customers do not complain about their lot being slippery in cold temps.Also, I spread much less which makes for better profits. I just finished the remains of last year (very little caking that broke apart easily) and a semi load is coming on monday. I pay $81 a ton and its well worth the extra money. Lastly, I can leave it in my v-box for days and it still comes out fine when I need it. Some problems associated with freeze up is water/rain/snow get into their salt or their salt spreaders are the problem. Both my salt doggs work great.

5. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

We've delivered a lot of Slicer in the last few years, and I find more and more of our customers (especially the smaller ones, interestingly) are moving toward only running Slicer after playing around with it and learning how to store it and use it correctly. The key (as with any treated product) is to learn how to work with your spreaders turned down considerably, and training your operators on it. It's hard to get used to, you have to fight the urge to just "crank it up", and let the product do its job. Not to mention that you have to store the product well, and it will keep for a very long time. I've had guys tell me it works better than Magic, and I've had guys say otherwise...BUT, you can't argue with the cost-effectiveness of it versus Magic. Slicer = 25% (+/-) higher than rock; Magic = 225% over rock, last I heard. As far as comparisons to other products, like Clearlane/Thawrox/Thundermelt, my guys have said simply "there is no comparison". In fairness, we don't apply/use the products much these days, so I gotta rely on the feedback from the guys that do.

As far as the freezing/fines concern, that might be specific to the yard that made it. Here, they make it in their Lemont terminal, and they don't make a ginormous pile of it. They make it as needed, and they might have 500T max made up at any given time. I've watched them make it, so I can tell you how it's done (with their blessing). They start with fresh product right off the boat--product destined to become Slicer goes inside immediately as it's unloaded--that is a big pile. As it's needed, they take that dry product and run it through a screen (much like a dirt pulverizer) to remove the excessive fines and large pieces. From there, it goes right into the plant hopper, which feeds the mixing area where the liquid treatment and dye (purple, it's their "thing") are introduced. The finished product runs up a small stacker conveyor and piles inside the building. Really, a neat process to watch.

All in all, it's the most popular treated bulk product we've offered, so I guess that says something. Also, it's worth noting that they offer a bagged product called "Beneath Zero", which is little more than bagged Slicer (I believe it's screened twice, but not 100% sure). It's a nice alternative to using calcium on walks, and much lower cost. But the whole calcium thing is whole 'nother highly antiquated subject altogether.

HTH...

6. Westhardt Corp.

You mean because of the added weight from the liquids? I haven't noticed a difference in volume vs weight when we have dropped a load into a "converted" bin (was rock, now Slicer). Although, I will ask the guys that run it if they find they get fewer loads out of it.

Interesting point.

7. Rain Man

Rain Man Senior Member

Dan is the rep in the Pittsburgh area, he is a great guy to deal with. I have been using Snow Slicer for 4 years, and it works great. I use about 160 ton a year. It melts down to a lower temperature and you don't have to use nearly as much as regular salt. It don't clump and there is never any clumps. I never had a chunk bigger than a 1/2 an inch delivered to me. price is good and Dan will get it to you quick.The best thing it's purple! purplebou
    Salt 2.jpg

Salt1.jpg

Salt1.jpg

Salt 2.jpg

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

So here's my question, I bet the weight of the liquid would leave your load a few yards difference, but since we pay for it per ton, ...and according to westhardt Corp, it's about 25% more expensive, If I loaded two trucks equal weight....obviously different volumes, Would I be able to spread 25% more parking lot with it...... Or after considering the " volume " difference, do you feel and maybe re consider that you are spreading the same amount of weight, but less volume and so it's fouling you? I totally see the ability of working at lower temps a big deal. And I have seen this stuff myself and it really does melt good, but can you actually say you spread more lots or sq per semi load? Or are we now getting fooled with the volume being less....

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

Do they sell the purple liquid separate that could be applied with a trucks on board pre wet system? I saw big difference on cold dry snows, but warm wet snow, I saw little difference and id bet plain Jain rock salt would come away cheaper on those days

10. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

The loads of snow slicer we get look like 18 ton of rock salt. It is what it is. the salt is denser, wet and heavier. the volume of salt is much larger when it is straight rock salt. It is still a great product, just don't be surprised if it looks short, it isn't.

11. Westhardt Corp.

Once you factor in your lower application rate, you should be getting more applications out of it--even if the volume is slightly less due to the weight difference.

The liquid is Meltdown Apex, made by Envirotech (Central), and as far I as know it can be purchased outright.
    Info: http://www.envirotechservices.com/meltdown-apex/

The purple is their trademark dye, and I believe is a separate (3rd) ingredient. IDK about getting that.

I have to ask, in your theory of rock working as well in the warm--are you dialing down your spreaders? A lot? I hope?

12. Westhardt Corp.

Most of our clients that take Slicer only have room for one load, and in a small bin. It seems to fill in as well as it did with plain bulk, as haven't had any mention of it yet. Based on some of the things I've heard, you might consider scaling an incoming truck sometime--just to make sure. Still a lotta shenanigans going on out there, sadly.

:mad:

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

I can't speak for all my salt spreaders, but I just drive faster. And based on usage reports we do spread less on warmer days,

14. Westhardt Corp.

LOL, that's one way to thin out the lb/ft ratio.

Do you have, like....sirens along with warning lights? Might be worth looking into...

:D

15. elite1msmith

from chicago

Only if you rally think the slicer is that good. Next i would have to put a turbo charger on the spinner so I get better distance

16. Westhardt Corp.

LOL...touché, sir.

17. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

only thing i use,
    worth the extra money, no questions

18. Westhardt Corp.

We've been getting more and more "converts" after trying it out and learning the product (and the application rate).

:D

19. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Can this stuff be had in Eastern PA?

20. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

So what kind of deliver price is slicer going for these days? Figure a semi load?