1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow sitting in vbox salt spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Guzzo856, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 Member

if i have a foot or so of snow and dump salt into it will it still throw out salt , ot will it clog it up?
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'd make sure it cleans out before you add anythng to it.
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with JD. If you pile salt on top of snow and it's cold enough and in there long enough you'll have a block of ice binding the conveyor.
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have made it a habit of turning on the v box a couple minutes before loading. My thoughts are; it clears out the snow/ice accmulation, if any moisture is frozen in/ on the bearings chains it is easier for it to break it free than with the extra friction with the salt on the drag chain & MOST IMPORTANT, make sure it all works properly, shoveling out 3 yards of salt to tke it in for service SUCKS:cry:. On the occasion I forget, if it gives me issues generally manually spinning the spiner (with power off) frees it up, if there are issues.
  5. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Something a lot of people do who plow snow for a living and rely on their equipment to work properly, is cover their Vbox spreaders. Just a thought.
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It'd probably be alright but why chance it?

I agree with others that said to run it before you load it.
  7. Brian in MO

Brian in MO Junior Member
    from NE MO

I don't know about salt, but I can tell you that sand will soak the moisture up and bridge over:angry:. At that point it becomes a shovel job, it only takes once and you will not let it happen again:nono:. btw I now own a tarp! I have never tried it with salt but I didn't think I would like shoveling it out any better than sand:D.