1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Shovels

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Gicon, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Lets get some discussion going about who uses what for shovels. I have been running the Ames 1601900's for years now, and they are discontinued and I cant get my hands on anymore. Now I need to switch and find another high quality snow shovel that is going to last more than one storm. Lets get it goin boys....

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

http://www.seymourmfg.com/product_detail_page.cfm?id=1871603670

/thread :salute:

3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I use these green shovels made by Alpine. They're like 15$ each and they have been great. We've used them a ton this season and I think they are the best. I'm gonna go buy a bunch more, just in case I can't find them next year. Check your local private hardware store.

4. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Do you have a part number or link so I can take a look?

5. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

6. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

Snow-shovel

The structron PP100 by Seymour is as good as you can get. It has a woodfilled fiberglass handle and a replaceable head too. I get mine at Reinders. Reinders.com

7. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

How long do the handles and shovels last? How does the handle attach to the base? How much do you pay?

8. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

Snow-shovel

The structron PP100 by Seymour is as good as you can get. It has a woodfilled fiberglass handle and a replaceable head too. I get mine at Reinders. Reinders.com

9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

How long do the handles and shovels last? How does the handle attach to the base? How much do you pay?

10. Runner

Runner Senior Member

We use Melnor Shovels. They are just like a snowblower, but without the motor. They look alot the Seymours, though. I believe the ones we use are 28" wide, though.

11. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

They last quite a while and they are tuff for scraping ice etc. tooThe handles are pushed into the head and a screw holds them in place. they are made tuff. I think that I paid around 25 dollars ea., but they last. here is a pic of one

pp100_sm.gif

12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

A screw in the handle is no good.

13. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I bought my first Structron shovel at least 5 years ago and I still use it every time it snows. I've been so impressed with the quality that I have been purchasing Structron hand tools for landscaping. They are without question the best available.

14. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Sum up your snow operation for me if you will. Residential, Commercial, and how many employees. I am trying to find someone who has really put these shovels to the test.....

15. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

To be honest, I used Structron shovels a lot more a few years ago than I do now. I used to be the grounds manager at a huge resort and my shovel crew back then was huge and they were all equipped with the same shovel that is shown in pelt35's post.

We cleared the walks at 400+ units every time there was more than a dusting.

I only have 30 accounts now with all of them commercial except for a couple. I do the walks at about 20 of them.

You're going to thank me for turning you onto these tools, trust me.

16. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Camden, the problem I could forsee with these shovels is how the handles attach to the base unit of the shovel. This is the biggest problem I have seen in the past in terms of the unreliabilty of a shovel. I have never ever had a crew member break a handle, so I do not see the type of handle as an issue. Anytime you have to put a screw into a handle to hold it in place, it weakens the integrity. It also has to do with how well the handle stays in place on the shovel, and how strong the entire piece is. I have had shovels like this in the past and they didnt last more than a storm. The shovels I have now can last a solid couple of years. The problem is, they are now discontinued, so I am forced to find a new product line.....

17. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

I was laughing when I read the topic. I buy snow shovels usually 50 at a time. My guys have chosen a specific shovel about 6-7 years ago. My local hardware guy gets them for me. They are very light. They last about 5- 6 storms until they wear it almost to the shaft.
    But they scrape everything. NJ snow is not like regular snow it is snow sleet ice slush all mixed in all the time. I will look in the shop tomorrow and get a model number.
    They cost me 8.00 each.

18. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Are they pushers? I am looking for a 22-24" Pusher

19. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Ill take that model number when you do get it.

20. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I use the Melnor shovels too. They scrap well, sometimes too well