1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Shovels

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Blueberry, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Blueberry

Blueberry Junior Member

I have a small snowplow business. What would be the best and cheapest snow shovel for shoveling a sidewalk and away from the garage door?
  2. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Probably the cheapest route would be your foot. Maybe get on your hands and knees and dig like a dog.
    But if you want to be a professional and use nice equipment that holds up I would suggest the shovels called the snow plow they are nice and stout
  3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

register at snowplow.com and order the dominator shovel worth every penny....light long handle and durable
  4. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Would you rather buy one $40 shovel or 6+ $15 shovels in a season. I just bought four of the 24" Snow Plow shovels because they have all good reviews here on PS. You can buy whatever brand you want but I advise a "nice" shovel with interchangeable parts like myself any many of PS'ers have purchased.

5. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

+1 to all of this. Don't buy cheap shovels if you are a pro.
  6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I buy cheap $20 24'' ones From HD or Lowes I try not to use them much They last me 3-4 years
    use them for touch up The blowers do all the hard work
  7. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Thats not that cheap. You can get dominators for $24.95 and they will last you longer and are easier to use.
  8. XYZSnowPros

XYZSnowPros Member

The snowplow shovels are nice but they are NOT PERFECT!

They are expensive for what they are. The price for the snowplows should come down for the quantity that this company is selling. They do have quality issues or obvious weak points like any other shovel manufacturers products.

All versions of the snowplow shovels DO NOT have long handles. All handle sizes are barely average. All people over 6 foot tall that I personally know that use the snowplow shovels complain about the handle length being too short. These shovels in my opinion are best for people 6 foot tall and under.

If the snowplow shovels are used commercially, say used hard for a snow event that may average 3 to 6 hours average use, they will start to break like any other shovel, in time. The most frequent part that breaks is the bracing on the back of the shovel itself that connects the handle/post to the blade. Every one of our snowplow shovels(20 of them) have had the bracing areas break in less than 2 full seasons. They are still usable if the bracing doesn't break too harshly. The plastic blade on these shovels is well made and thick. Eventually we have to use 120grit sand paper to scuff the edges so they will glide more smoothly again over time and also not get caught in cracks so often. Also we hang them up on the wall (you get a shovel holder)after every use. They stay there till next winter season. More than half of our blades are starting to warp a bit. We have no idea why that is. When the shovels are used if the temperature is below 0 degrees fahrenheit, we noticed that the braces seem to have an easier time snapping or breaking off. I guess that the plastics start to get brittle the colder it gets. Though we do use them and they do still work at 20-30 degrees below zero.

Apparently the lifetime warranty should allow us after this season is over to get them replaced. What I am worried about is these facts that I know of with dealing with the snowplow company:
    You can never get a phone call back from this company. You can never get an email back from this company. You can never get a reply back on this "paid sponsorship forum" that the snowplow company has on plowsite. IF you say the slightest FACT based sentence about them handling their business shoddily they will erase any and every post on plowsite about it. Purchase at your own risk. The biggest weak link is dealing with the company itself. We tried to get a hold of them to see if we could buy a batch of 100 at only 2 different blade sizes, but with 4 to 6 inch longer handles. We have tall folks working on my crews. I got no reply and even had my posts deleted on plowsite for questioning their un-business like canter when dealing with (especially) commercial customers.

Other than that the snowplow standard push shovel are pretty darn close to perfect. A few tweaks and they will have a lifelong winning product. The dominator snowplow shovels are also very good for the application they are used for.
  9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Wow I've had a completely different experience with Snow Plow, I've only talked to them through email and they've always responded within a day.
    I'm 6'8" and my 16yr old boy is 6'4", handles on hand tools (shovels, etc...) are short for us. I emailed to asked them if they could do a special and lengthen the handles, I was told no problem and how much longer. I bought "2" 36" pushers with handles that are 6" longer. I'm on my second season and have had no problems with them breaking, etc.... But given the fact they're $50.00 shovels we don't toss them in the back of the pickup or abuse them in any way. They get hung up in the shop after the storm to stay out of the sunlight. Sunlight can/will change the physical property's of plastics if UV inhibitors are not in the raw resin causing failure.

For deeper snow and minor clean up I've been using Wolverine 24' Pushers http://www.wolverinehandtools.com/products/snow-tools/ , they're kind of a hybrid of a pusher and scoop. They're about $15.00-16.00 each when you buy a case of 12. They hold up pretty good, been using them for about 6yrs. The only complaint is they use "2" self tapping screws to hold the handle to the shovel head and these get loose, then fall out. The handle only has a wall thickness of about 2mm and there's not enough thread engagement for the screw to really take hold. I take the handle off the shovel and take a Dremel with a round burr (1/8" dia) and grind grooves on the handle and in the pocket where the handle slips into the shovel head. Then I take JB Weld and lather up the shovel handle, then put JB Weld on the screw, then reassemble and tighten everything up. This may sound like a hassle but it really isn't, plus not everything is perfect and sometimes you have to tweak things.
  10. Snoviper

Snoviper Senior Member

I have the snowplow shovels and I like the quality, I have never had to deal with any service issues so no opinion on that yet. They are more expensive but they seem to work very well.
  11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I haven't found a shovel that is easy to use Unless someone else I make to run it then it would be easy on me.
    Nothing easy about using a shovel period
    I have them for touch up I run blowers they are easy on the back Shovels kills the back
  12. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Hence my use of the word "easier" vs. "easy" :drinkup:
  13. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

Snowplow only way to go. We have had the same ones for 5 years. Love them