1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow shoveling

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Underdog1, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Underdog1

Underdog1 Junior Member

I m planning on starting a plowing business but i need to save money to purchase a new truck and a plow. me and a buddy figured we would start a small snow shoveling business, advertising 'driveways done be hand'.
    i was looking for some advice as to the prices charged for plowing a driveway in different amounts of snow.

any replies would be appreciated..
    thanks

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Invest in a used blower. Shoveling by hand, even with two people will take to long to make money.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

why purchase a new truck you can get a plow truck for less then 5k i never would buy a 30k or 40k just to beat up on

4. Underdog1

Underdog1 Junior Member

weve actually decided to get a used snow blower to make things go a bit faster but we still need some help with what we should be charging.....by hour? by inch?
    also, when and how should we collect accounts payable?

thanks again

5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You are going to have to find the going rates for plowing in your area. You may be able to charge a bit more beause you will do walks and get all the snow off the driveway. This means you will have to work fast though because a normal drive takes less then five minutes for me to plow. I gurantee you will be there longer shoveling.

Try do group all the accounts close so you can just move down the street.

6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i first got into snow removal by snow blowing driveways. me and a buddy would drive around in my s-10 all afternoon and morning ringing door bells. we would get quite a few they would pay us about 30.00 for a driveway and sidewalks and we would leave them a flyer so they could call us next time, but we found most of them would only want it done if there was 6" or more and so most of the time we didn't make very much. after a year and a half of that we decided to move on and during the first big storm of the next winter we drove to the local mall and talked to the guy plowing up there. he said he would pay us 13.50 an hour to shovel the walks at his large lots. it was great becuase every storm we would shovel for probably 15hrs. doing every lot about twice. once when it was still snowing and then again that night. the end of that year with all of the money i got a used plow truck with sander for 3,000.00 and started my own company FROSTIES SNOW REMOVAL. my first two years i did sub work only. the first was for the original guy i shoveled for plowing up at the local mall, that was great becuase it was large lot with nothing to hit. the second year i plowed for a guy doing smaller churches, hardware stores, and banks. my third year i did half sub jobs and half my own. after the third year we got a nother truck and plow and have been growing every year sence.

i guess the point i am trying to make is there is not as much oppurtunity to grow just ring doorbells. if you get in with a local large snow removal company even just clearing sidewalks it lets you see how the experienced plow drivers clean a parking lot and you are making money at the same time. when you are ready for a truck they will hire you to help them plow too. becuase in my personal opinion everyone should start as a sub and learn how to plow the right way.

7. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Best advice for hand shoveling is to keep 911 on speed dial on your cell phone! LOL:D

8. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

Snow shoveling is the worst thing you can do. Even on a 2" storm, the constant pushing will beat up on you. Make sure your snowblower is fast. Charge based on size of the driveway and amount of snow. Charge more if there is a car parked and a plower wouldnt be able to do the driveway. If you are going to take on the sh*tty driveways (according to plowers) charge more.

9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Underdog
    I would suggest that you get an old beat up plow truck and make at least twice the money that you would shoveling. You can have a snowblower or two for back up if you really want to get a cheap truck, you can find them for very little money. IMO shoveling would not be lucrative enough to get you a brand new plow truck. Depending on what kind of winter you have you could end up making hardly any money. You would be better off trying to get a job with a landscaping company that plows for the first winter.