1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Shovelers $8 an hr? this guy is nuts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scottscape, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

wonder what kind of application process they put you through in order to be "accepted" as a shoveler lol :dizzy:

this little guy was lucky enough to pass their screening
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2007
  3. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

$8 / hr as a sub?? This guy is crazy and that is an illegal way to have employees!!!

4. mmplowing

mmplowing Member

Wow for $8 an hour I wouldn't even bother running a truck...just hire shovelers do do all the driveways.

Unreal.

5. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Sent him a e-mail what a fool............

6. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I thought about doing the same thing. Please let us know what he says.

7. mmplowing

mmplowing Member

Ya know as much of an idiot as he is.....it's those that accept his "offer" that are the true idiots. I really hope he is not able to find ayone.....heh.

8. topdj

topdj Senior Member

till you hit a 20' x 200' driveway with 12" of wet snow LOL
    how long is 2 guys gonna take to do that

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Hire the pigeon as a foreman ,get the worker for free!

pigion.jpg

10. Wiseguyinc

Wiseguyinc Member
    from MN

yep

There's a guy in my town who does the same thing. The city has even contracted him to take care of all their sidewalks because he is so cheap.He uses nothing but crack heads with shovels.I do not get how he finds help.I never knew there were so many crack heads.Maybe meth heads now. He also mows lawns.He charges my grandmas friend 10 bucks to mow and billed her once in 3 years.....go figure. I should report him to the IRS.He is bringing everyone else down.

11. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

There is a company in my town that hires mentally challenged people to do things like put together boxes, clean hotel rooms, and other simple tasks. My uncle works for them and it's a great deal for him as it keeps his mind active and keeps him in a positive mood. The only down side is he works 40 hours a week and only recieves 30 to 40 dollars a week. They recently started to sub these people out to shovel sidewalks. They took a job that we would normally shovel for $600 a time, and did it for $235.

12. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Ok here is his reply (im in business to make money and yes i have 5 people now. and will hit my numbers by winter no doubt. it worked last year it will work this year. so if is big joke then it is on you because my profit margin is going to be extremely high. you need to go back to school apparently. Who is the ******* now *******.) What a jerk here is his e-mail polyacrylic@aol.com

13. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Fernalddude sounds like he's got GREAT people skills to match his fantabulous business practices.

14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

From his ad: If called out you may only work for 16 hours during a 24 hr period ...":dizzy: Good God!!! He says you have to take an eight hour break after shoveling for 16 hours during a snowstorm? Is this guy nuts? He didn't say, but I'd assume you have to provide your own shovel. He's getting real close to the IRS definition of "employee". The really sad part is that it probably IS working.

15. topdj

topdj Senior Member

he has also opened a whole can of insurance issues

16. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sure the IRS has a report a tax cheat hotline/email type thing
    just a thought
    I'm sure they, and the state's department of labor (and workman's comp) would be VERY INTERESTED.

Just a thought.

17. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Ok so I may be off the mark here but what kind of degree do shovelers need and how much should we pay unskilled workers? My drivers have to get out and shovel as I don't have just a shoveling crew (my drivers get paid $20.00per hr. with my equipment and gas), don't take me wrong here but $8.00 to $10.00 tops around here of coarse you have to live where i live and see the lowballers here ( example 25k-50k parking lots getting plowed for $50.00 and subs getting paid $45-$50 per hr. and have to pay there own gas), I tell you what I can't see the price being off to far around here especially with the economy here, anyway he did say it could supplement somebody's income espscially with the holidays coming up.

18. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Heck I run a loader and get $14/hr straight time plow all night work my 12 hour shift then go out the next night and load snow to be removed,$20 and shovel...sign me up ;)

Every area has different rates

19. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Thats right twenty and I never have a problem getting them out of bed to go push snow.

20. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i don't understand why everyone is giving this guy trouble? you don't have to work for him, my hourly's i pay not much more than that.

i ain't saying that if i worded it like that in the local paper i would get ANY calls. But how much do you think UNSKILLED laborers are worth?. you know i read the article and no-where did it say he was holding a gun to their head to take the job!! you all realize that that is ABOVE minimum wage

what is wrong with contract labor why can't he just 1099 them at the end of the year? i donno

certainly do not e-mail him that is just wrong!!!!!! if he wanted to discuss and argue about it he would be on PS. FERNALDDUDE do you remember how defensive you got when everyone was calling you an idiot for handling 36T of bag-ed salt per event?, what is differ than you e-mailing this guy and calling him an idiot?

SORRY about the rant but i kinda took it personal 'cause that is about all i pay for normal full time help but i do pay a little better for sidewalk crew's,

i have posted ad's before in hispanic newpapers just to get help, maybe he would have better luck if it were posted like this:

Necesito múltiples a personas para poner una lista de la llamada para salir y mover con pala la nieve en mis propiedades de comercial en Hilliard. Esto será un trabajo de tipo subcontratista en ocho dólares una hora en el sitio. La paga no es negociable. Si aceptó que usted será pone una lista de la llamada y puede ser llamado en en cualquier momento día o noche durante un acontecimiento de la nieve. Si escatimó usted sólo puede trabajar por 16 horas durante un 24 período de Hora después de que que usted deba quitar 8 horas. Debe tener propio transporte a propiedades locales en Hilliard. Aceptamos a la mayoría de los solicitantes que encuentran los requisitos. Note por favor que esto es un subcontrató el trabajo. Usted será responsable de todos impuestos aplicables al archivar como nosotros no sacaremos los impuestos del concordado sobre la compensación. Esto es una oportunidad perfecta para ingresos suplementarios durante el invierno incluso si usted ya sea empleado.

Si interesado manda por favor reasume por la conexión de correo electrónico de craigslist

AT LEAST THAT WAY ANYONE WHO EMAILED HIM WOULD HAVE BEEN WANTING A JOB INSTEAD OF JUST TO GRIPE AT HIM (FERNALDDUDE) i don't undersstand why everyone thinks there time is any more important than the next guys.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007