1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow shoveler respect.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sno, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Anyone have something like this happen?

Today I'm shoveling walks on an apartment complex.

I had finished plowing the lot, cleared all walks that are off the lot.

Clean access to the walkway anywhere you park mind you.

I park in no perticular spot, just a spot.

I spend 15 minutes shoveling, long enough to make it 3/4 of the way done and 100 yrds from my truck. I have about 5 minutes left and I'm done. I'm in a hurry cause I have people waiting to be plowed and frankly loosing money big time.

Next thing a window opens up and this elderly lady says

"Sir, Sir, Sir, could you move your truck? I'm expecting a delivery and he usually parks right where your at. He is on his way now. So, could you please move your truck"

I bit my lip and hard.... I said sure mam... move it right now.

Mind you the "delivery man" who doesnt work forhimself but for a company, would have had to take a whopping extra 15 foot max of walking her package to the door.

I dont know, that just burnt me so bad it still is eating at me. I'm there shoveling her walks and she cares more about some delivery man taking an extra 10 steps than me walking 100 yrds just to move my truck 10 foot then walking back 100 yrds when i was almost finished anyway.

By the time I moved my truck and got out he was there, delivered his goods and left before I even made it back to where I was to begin with.

:realmad:

I tell you this, I now know what my shoveling is worth to her!

To me, a little more than it was worth yesterday!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2003
  2. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

Don't Sweat It

You know how the elderly can be sometimes (PITA) even though they don't mean to be or realize it. I think you did the right (and gentlemenly) thing by biting your tongue and being polite. Even though I think what she did was inconsiderate. You may not have gained anything by doing what she asked, but I almost guarantee that if you didn't, she would have put a bad word in for you with someone-maybe a future potential customer. A friend of mine used to say "When I do good no one remembers, when I do bad no one forgets";)

3. windmill

windmill Senior Member

I dont know, that just burnt me so bad it still is eating at me. I'm there shoveling her walks and she cares more about some delivery man taking an extra 10 steps than me walking 100 yrds just to move my truck

You are too flattering, I bet she wasn't worried about the delivery man, by him being parked closer she would get hew package sooner. :)
    Yeah, old folks can get cranky, but soon enough we'll all get there too, I hope I remember my present thoughts and become a friendly senior.

4. PAPS Landscape

PAPS Landscape Member

i woulda just said "No... sorry, I can't move my truck I'm working over here, I'll be done in 5 minutes and I'll move it then. SorrY" and thats that.

5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Or try "No hablo ingles! Lo siento!" and hope she doesn't know Spanish & keep on working. ;)

6. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Well,
    regardless..

I charged 25.00 per hour for the walks. Which was more charity than income. 2" on a large sidewalk was only about 6.00 ... Not worth my cold hands time or hassles. I get tired enough just driving for 10 hours two or three days in a row.

It made me think real hard so I crunched the numbers, the price has gone up to 125.00 per hour and I'll walk 2 miles if they like.

BRL,

That was a good one...lol

Last edited: Jan 7, 2003
  7. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

I would probably initially be inclined to respond as PAPS did, but I must admit, BRL has a good one also.

8. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I get $45 an hour for apartment sidewalks here. ( 2" snow = 10 hours)

9. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Ceaman

Not too bad, I would ask for a bit more but just think, after 4 or more times, you could get an atv with a plow and do them in 2 hours or less. Then you could offer to for $150 an hour, tell them they are saving $200, but only have to work 2 hours instead of 10. I have an old gilson Lawn Tractor (not like some of the new cheap ones, HEAVY) with a cast iron blade, If I could get some ramps to load it into the back of the truck, I would take it with me and do walks like that too....