1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow shield moldboard cover

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I've noticed these plastic moldboard shields they make that you stick on the front of your blade and then blt them on, supposedly to keep snow from sticking, and making the snow flow off faster. Never hada huge problem with that, as I always roll on a nice thick coat of paint at the start of the season, but it couldn't hurt. And at only $50 bucks it's not too much more than a quart of paint every season..
    So, here's what I'm thinking: I got another 7.5 foot plow. I had one before and when I changed to an 8 I was surprised how much difference it made. So I thoguht of adding some small wings or something, to give me a tad more area without adding a lot of weight. These shields come in 8' by 28 inches, and you're expected to trim it to fit. So, why couldn't I put it on and not trim it to fit? I'd gain my 3 inches on each side, plus I think a little at the top also. Not worried about having the cutting edge go out to the ends, so Icould still only scrap 7.5', but I think I'd be losing lest off the sides. I don't know how thick it is, if it isn't rigid enough I could weld some backing on the ends of the plow, but it would be nice if I didn't have to. First thought is that the edge sticking out might get bent or busted, but perhaps it would be better than haing steel out there with no give, for when you catch a mailbox or garage door or whatever.

Anyway, it's 4:42 in the morning and I have nothing else to occupy my mind. Interested in hearing your thoughts or experiences.
  2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

3. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

Letting it overhang without suporting it may cause the whole thing to buckle and after time fall off
  4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

best measure the blade hight. last i checked the s.a.m skin is to short to fit the fisher blades. and also no way to lock the bottom on as it is pinched in the wear edge. and on a trip edge fisher that wont work.

i installed 1 few years ago for a plow that was heavy surface rusted. well it went on and looked good. but the thing was a p.i.t.a to get seated fully. and never did sit flush and would bubble in/out off the blade.

its a great idea but i think 1 12-15 bucks qrt of rustoleum sunburst yellow and a cheep 2-3 buck roller is still a good idea.