1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Service Questions????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cheeze6, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Cheeze6

Cheeze6 Junior Member
    from KY

Been plowing for 10+ years. We have always used a truck plow and snow shovels (sidewalks). I've been wanting to invest more in snow equipment we don't get a lot of snow here but when we do the whole place shuts down. Just curious what do you guys up north use for sidewalk equipment? Also anybody plow with a 2wd 1 ton dump truck? If so does it work well? Any advice would be great for a southern boy. Thanks in advance
  2. plowboy87

plowboy87 Senior Member

I have used a two wheel drive f450, they get around good until the snow gets deep. Just put a lot of weight in the back and have a friend on call when you get stuck. My advice is find a 4x4
  3. maxwell

maxwell Member
    from nw ohio

I have a f350 2wd dump truck with a 8.5' plow and a tailgate spreader and I have never had any problems but I also try not to empty my bed completely. Two or three hundred pounds of salt all the way back in the salt gate really helps. I also have good tires on the rear. I do mostly commercial lots and I don't have to travel on any real steep hills while plowing.:angel:
  4. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 Senior Member

We have a f450 2wd with a 9 foot plow and 4yd salter, with the salter loaded and good tires it can drive/push through anything. The truck drove on some hilly roads last year as well as plow some hills at the sites it was at with no problems. The weight of the plow can make a difference as well, 4yd salter loaded with a blizzard 8611 plow was fine, we switched to a 2yd saltdogg with urea pellets and the same plow sucked, year later we put a 9ft fisher HD on with the same salter and material and no problems, we now have that plow with the 4yd back on and salt or sand
  5. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

We have a International 4700 2wd dump with a blizzard 8611 and it does great, we also use it for salting so we have extra weight in the back.
  6. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Just keep plenty of weight in the back and you'll do fine. Plowed for a long time on some pretty steep hills with 2wd F-450's, a little common sense and decent tires goes along way as well.
  7. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The OP is asking a very perplexing question...

What kinds of sidewalks require a 1 ton truck ????

Do you guys live in Giant Land ? Do you clear Buff's sidewalks ?

A 1 ton truck to do sidewalks ? Since when are sidewalks engineered to carry the weight of a truck without cracking ?

I'm way confused on this one.:confused::confused:
  8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I don't see him asking to plow walks with a 1 ton, then again it's early in the morning.
  9. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

He asked 2 separate questions.
    Sidewalk rigs, depending on how much you really do and if it's budgetable a kubota RTV with a plow works wonderfully.
    We have an f450 and 9' plow. No salter but just put enough weight in the back and it's good to go.
  10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I must say his sentence is miss leading, or is it?

While I may not plow sidewalks every day, I do drive over sidewalks everyday. One in particular cross's my driveway just before the apron.
  11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

They are two separate questions.