1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow routes- length of time to complete per truck

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by bah1491, Dec 2, 2014.

1. bah1491

bah1491 Member

What is an "acceptable" amount of time for each truck to service it's first account, to the last account?

We are consistently growing, and are no longer accepting snow clients this year. The problem is, I may be in the position to drop some accounts in order to service other accounts quicker.

What do you think is an acceptable amount of time for each from the start of it's route to the finish?

Obviously if the snow is done by 9:00pm, you have no time constraints, but if the snow stops at midnight, it's not possible to have all sites clean by 8:00am if your route is a 10 hour route.

Any thoughts?

We have 5 trucks, 3 with bulk spreaders, 1 sub truck and a sub skid steer.
  2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

6 hours per truck is what we do. 4 hours per salt truck and 4 hours per sidewalk crew.
  3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I would think if it's taking more than 8 hours for each equipment to get all the properties clear then you need to add another... What happens when 1 truck goes down? Now it's 10 hours a truck, it all depends on your accounts and what they expect but 8 hours after the final flake falls would be the farthest id like to go especially on commercial properties
  4. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

you'll find out soon enough . whats the hurry ? nuthin worse than a road raged plow driver . every route ,storm ,traffic,equip and driver(yrs of seat time) is different . uncomparable
    after a wet 10''er , you'll get an idea....prsport

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  5. bah1491

bah1491 Member

Last year we were around 5-7 hours per truck per event. We have added two trucks, but added two 7 acre lots and a 3 acre lot. Therefore, those trucks are maxed.

Anyone know of any reliable subs in the southeastern ohio area?
  6. Jfdvrod

Jfdvrod Junior Member

I think a good number is to complete your route 6-8 hours after snow stops. We gained a considerable amount of time when we started performing training sessions with each driver and kept those drivers on the same lots for the season. Were able to add several more properties with out adding resources just by becoming more efficient.
  7. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

for a 6-8 hr route
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is your time out over?:laughing:
  9. bah1491

bah1491 Member

We all know that if you give employees 6 hours worth of work it takes them 8, but if you add another two hours it still only takes 8 hours. This year I started doing training sessions with power points and a "parking lot sandbox" also showing SIMA training videos. (As I can afford to buy the damn things)
  10. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing::laughing:........That's Funny.....Don't poke the Bear
  11. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Shoot for 5-6 hours, that way when the big storm hits it's still under 10 hours.
  12. wewille

wewille Senior Member

I have three trucks, 1 skid, 1 ag tractor, 1 sidewalk machine, and 1 sub. The tractor and two trucks run abvout 6 hours every storm, and one truck and the skid run at least ten hours every time. The sidewalk machine will run about 8 hours. We are fortunate to have a very tight route so we will plow the lots and do main walkways before businesses open and so people can get out of their drives. Then the skid runs around doing cleanup at apartments and a truck will re-clear aprons and help out with sidewalks. My advice is you should be pretty well done on an average storm in roughly 6 hours. Cleanups and sidewalks can extend a few more hours in my opinion.
  13. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

We shoot for 6 hours max on a 2-4 inch storm for everything except cleanups.
  14. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I feel the same exact way. This is what I shoot for as well.
  15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

WoW I must be loaded My route takes 10-12 hrs per 6 rigs under 4'' of snow
    Salt run is 3 hrs with 2 rigs during Ice Storm
  16. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our routes aren't that big, 3 trucks at about 4-5 hours but half our lots are basically zero tolerance so many times we're going back to keep it plowed/salted. Our weather is so F'ed up here I kind of need to plan capacity on a worse case scenario but it sounds like you need another truck. IMO, 8-10 hours to complete a route is too much for one truck.
  17. bah1491

bah1491 Member

Well, we cleaned house on some of our accounts that did not want salt all the time, subbed out 5 sites to another contractor, and hired another sub with a loader and bought a 14' pusher for it. Problem solved.

If only it was as easy as it sounded ^ there.
  18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Sweet! Glad it worked out.
  19. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

You're way over booked, at least for here.

If you tried that here, the first 6-9 inch storm we got you'd be done. There's no way you'd be able to keep up.

We get a few phone calls toward the end of the 6 hours on storms like yesterday, where it started snowing about 5 AM, and quit about 10 AM. I can't imagine letting an account sit untouched for up to 12 hours after the snow is done.

Our salt routes just salting are an hour, at the most.
  20. bah1491

bah1491 Member

Our route lengths are still in the 8 -9 hour range. If I could find another sub with a truck I would.

The problem for me is the fact that we get an average of 30" per year here. (Not far from you in Wooster, I went to ATI by the way) I have close to $60,000 in snow removal equipment and if my routes were only 6 hours for a plow, I would never get a good return on investment. So I think the name of the game is have more subs for plowing, and a salt route can take or should take atleast 4 hours. Yes, we occasionally have someone call because it snowed at 4 am and we don't get their until 9:30. But, I can't justify not generating some good revenue on just a salting event.

I defineitly agree that plowing routes should be less than 8 hours. So for me, more subs, shorter plow length but better revenue on the salting end of things with a reasonable length of time for service.