1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow route

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kolkie05, Nov 4, 2009.

1. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

How do you guys attack your routes? do you start with the closest or the furthest?

2. dingybigfoot

dingybigfoot Senior Member

closest to furthest.

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Definitely, closer to the furthest.

4. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

almost always furthest to closest. That way when the snow is coming down but not at it's peak i'm headed out, it slows or stops i am at my furthest lot, then by the time i work back to the closest usually traffic starts to pick up and the roads are at their worst and i'm closest to home....

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

The one that needs to be done the soonest to the one that needs to be done last...

The one with more snow to the one with less snow...

The one that pays the quickest to the one that pays the slowest...

Too many variables...

6. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I always do the farthest to the closest, just so the truck will get all warmed up by the time I get there. I'm big on letting my truck warm up before I do the work.

7. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

I always do furthest to closest because if anything goes sideways that requires me to stop for any reason, I dont have to drive way out to do the places I missed. This way, the missed places are closer to home.
    Having said that, if the snow is still falling, and I know that I will need to do the first places again, I will do the route in reverse. That way, if I'm lucky, the places that I have to redo, will be the close ones.
    Above all, I will adjust my routes to make sure that all of my trucks will dodge rush hour.

8. dingybigfoot

dingybigfoot Senior Member

yeah, rush hour can be a PITA!:dizzy::dizzy::cry:

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Soonest to be done to the last to be done and in whatever order they come to each other on my route.

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd set mine up in a circle - start and end close to the house.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

With a hammer!

Mostly depends on what time it starts to snow. And who needs to be done first and which way the traffic is going.

12. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We start closest to the shop and finish at the furthest point.

13. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

I mix it up so nobody always gets done last