1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The mayor, Nov 13, 2006.

1. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I have a business that called for snow plowing. The catch is they want the snow removed off of the property. I have never had that request. Where does one dump snow at. Also I have 2, 3yrd dump trucks. That would sound like alot of trips if I did know where to dump the snow.

2. GFX

GFX Member

What's up D? Where's this property located? I may have a place for snow to be dumped. You all booked up this year for snow or are you looking for more? We're swamped with work and could probably use a hand if your looking for more work.

3. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

Looks like you need a heated trailer. You could load the snow in and watch it melt into the drain or ditch. Otherwise you will need 20 dump trucks to haul away all that snow. Anyway sounds likepayup

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

snow melter cost a lot $ to operate.plus there some epa issues

john

5. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

It is in bayview...down by the lakefront. I don't need anymore accounts, but I could use some employees. If you are looking for snow work or lawn accounts let me know.

6. GFX

GFX Member

Bayview is a little far from where I know to dump snow. I hear ya with the employees. If your turning down snow work I'd be interested in anything that needs salt otherwise I'm pretty well over booked. I'm always game for more lawn accounts if they work with my route.

7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

dump it at your shop. our cit has an empty lot to take snow to.

8. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

Not too sure on a location. But Meijer/ home depot, shopping mall, all have designated areas of the property were snow is dumped at when it gets to be over a certain height. They bring in semi dump trucks and use the loaders already on site.
    We charge $200 / hour for that service.

9. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I don't think I have trucks big enough for me to make a bid. I was talking to the maintence guy that works there that is also a friend. He said who ever was doing it last year had several tri axle dump trucks hauling it out. That right there leaves me out.

10. Jay brown

get a quote from a trucking company. they should do it for around $100 per hour for a tractor and tri axle trailer. (in our area)

11. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

Yeah, i agree with Jay. Never turn anything down just because of lack of equipment. Always explore other options. Especially subbing it out. There's plenty of people out there with equipment just sitting around that need to make some sort of money. It may cut down on your profits, but its better than nothing. And eventually maybe you'll be able to buy your own bigger equipment.

12. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

dump trucks are slightly less useful in the winter than a plow truck in the summer.

You can get them for cheap. Most companies doing removal jobs don't own the trucks either, it's all hired trucks.

Around here a dump truck is $60 an hour.

13. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I never thought of hiring a trucking company. Thanks for advice on that. I can get it loaded just didn't have the trucks big enough.

14. TEX

TEX Senior Member

Dump

SOUNDS LIKE A HEAD ACHE AND DONT THINK OF DUMPING IT IN THE RIVER EITHER OR THE EPA WILL BE ON YOUR A** FASTER THAN FLYS ON U KNOW:nono:

15. Jay brown

if you can't find a place to dump it, the trucking company will know of a place, after all it's their business to know.

16. GFX

GFX Member

Well you not gonna believe this but I just found out we got an account in Bayview. It needs snow removal also. Small strip mall. Let me know if your not interested in bidding this job or if you want to give up the contact for the account. Shoot me a pm or something.

17. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

The one I was looking at is a business not a strip mall. I can't send out pm's yet on here.