1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow removal w/ skidsteer help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JCPM, Aug 28, 2009.

1. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

I want to use my bobcat S175 for moving snow this year and was wondering what you guys like to use. I've been moving snow piles for years but I want to use it for walkways and driveways this year too. What is better for all around use? A plow, pushbox or snowblower attachment?
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Plow will be the best bang for the buck.
  3. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

I think the best value for amount of snow removed is a box.
  4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

X's 2.......no matter what kind of work, commercial or residential,
  5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

If you're looking for something that offers universal usage then a plow is the way to go.
  6. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

A plow sounds like the only smart option to me for walks and driveways.
  7. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

A decent plow also decreases the chance of causing damages and incurring back charges. Some food for thought.
  8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

When we switched a skid from 8ft plow w/wings to an 8ft Bobcat brand pusher its route time was cut in half, this included a mix of commercial parking lots, walkways, & some residential. There is also less to go wrong with a pusher, no hyd. functions to fail.

quite the opposite from my experiences.
  9. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

For a skid in smaller areas, I would agree that a plow would be the most versatile.

For bigger lots, a pusher should be more productive. But at some point, you'll be farther ahead with a larger skid, whell loader, large dump truck, etc... on these larger lots.

If it were me, I'd keep the skid on the smaller, cut-up lots, as this is were a skid really shines.
  10. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

What kind of plow works best on a skid? I use Boss plows on my trucks and I love them.
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A steel edge trip box with a back drag edge will be good for drives but I can't see them working good for walks. We run a pusher on ours and he just puts the bucket on for the limited sidewalks he has to do, if we had more sidewalks I'd be using an angle plow. Any heavy duty used plow can be made up to fit a skid steer.
  12. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

I have a 7'6 super duty Boss straight plow from a truck i sold. I actually was wanted to put wings on it and use it as a backup for my trucks but can it be converted to fit on my Bobcat? Is there a conversion kit I need or do have to do some fabricating? I don't mind either way. If I can't weld it I know someone who can.
  13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I don't know if there is a conversion kit or not but it would probably more economical to just fab it up.
  14. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

What ever you do make sure the plow ocilates (most do now, new Bobcats brand, snow wolf are ex) if not the presure becomes un even when blde is angled & steer/handling is affected. If you build incoroporate it.
  15. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Boss makes a few plows just for skid-loaders. They may very well sell the mounting plate/bracket seperatly. Just simply clink on the Boss link on top of the page to see their skid plows.

Fabricating a mount isn't too hard either. Cretebaby, myself & many others have pictures on here of our home-made mounts.
  16. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

17. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I run boxes on mine.

18. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Why would it need to ocilate? I have just bought a blank plate and am about to weld the bracket from the truck onto the plate. I figured it would work just like on the truck.
  19. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

use a plow because it has the best results but be careful with a steel blade, might want to consider a rubber blade depending on who you plow for.
  20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Like what has been said here. "Depending on how much walk work there is" , just throw the bucket on for a little bit if need be. Bottom line you will move more snow with a box. And it will be more reliable than anything that is run off hydraulics.

SOOOOOOO much truth to this! VERY important IMO!