1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow removal this winter

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by lawn kid, Dec 2, 2015.

1. lawn kid

lawn kid Junior Member

Hey guys, I am planning on shoveling snow this winter, do you think it makes sense for me to buy a snow blower now or should I wait until I have more customers? I already have two customers and I was planning on going into upper middle class neighborhoods where a lot of older people live and marketing to them do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks,
    Robert Jacobs

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

yes how are you going to transport the snow blower?

3. lawn kid

lawn kid Junior Member

I was planning on buying a small trailer or pouring it in the back of my friend's truck

4. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

And your friend can drive you around whenever you need him?

This may sound rough but the best way for all of us to give you the most accurate answers and advice for the long run and not get this thread to go multiple pages with countless basic questions is if you tell us your entire business plan which will show us how much you do and do not know about providing snow work.

5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

You need a truck, snowblower, shovels and insurance.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

How old are you? Do you have the money saved up for a blower?

7. lawn kid

lawn kid Junior Member

I plan to shovel snow with my friend who has a truck and can drive me around. I am going to market to upper middle class neighborhoods and I was going to call realtors and ask them about shoveling snow at the houses that they are listing. My original plan was to wait until I had enough clients and money to buy a snow blower so I could hold out for a decent one.

8. lawn kid

lawn kid Junior Member

I'm almost 15 and I have a few hundred dollars saved up for a blower.

9. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Location?
    What is your average snow ❄ fall?

10. lawn kid

lawn kid Junior Member

I live on the eastern shore of Maryland

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's gunna happen if your buddy can't drive you around?
    You have insurance?

12. lawn kid

lawn kid Junior Member

I don't have insurance, how do I go about getting it?

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

At 15 you can't.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'd just shovel and do a great job and see where it goes. Then make decision on a blower.

15. lawn kid

lawn kid Junior Member

Okay, thanks

16. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I agree with DAve

17. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

This is what I'm going to start telling all kids who come on here. If you don't have a business, don't try to be a business.

At 15 you legally can't sign a contract or get insurance. You may want to talk to your parents about "them" starting a business. With that though you have to claim taxes, get insurance, and do everything by the book.

Your other option is to only do family friends and family members. They probably won't sue you.

Do a search on here, you can learn a lot. There are a lot of young guys that post a thread just like yours, but we never hear from them again. I would also stay away from the realtors, they won't want to pay much, and this late in the game you're probably too late (although it never hurts to ask).
    Good luck kid, we know that you're just trying to make a little money. I'd stick with a shovel until you can get your blowers.

18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

19. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

20. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

Give you props to trying to get a start on snow removal... I know because I started about the same age as you.. I would stay in your general area and help out your neighbors.. Do a good job and get a good relationship with them.. Tell them you are willing to help out other people also if they need it.. If they like you and the job you do the word of mouth will spread... For right now id skip on the blower... I used to do a lot of shoveling by hand and with 2 people its not bad work... Just sucks when you get a massive dumping overnight which by the look of our season so far we wont have anything like that for awhile

The whole insurance thing here is a very touchy subject.... For me personally I plow family,friends and a the surrounding neighborhood... These people i've known since I started doing this for the past 8 years... I dont personally have insurance covering myself... Now im not saying you shouldnt(even tho you are too young) I just feel for what I do I dont need it this is up to you and you should read into the fine print of not having it.. If I was getting into business and commercial lots I would but until I get to that point I wont... Im sure ill get bashed but more power to them Thumbs Up