1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Removal Quality

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NeighbourL, Dec 13, 2014.

1. NeighbourL

NeighbourL Junior Member
    from Toronto

What do you suggest to improve quality when using straight blade plows on residential driveways? We use metal blades and poly blade edges. We also use a back drag blade but we find in all cases that much snow is left behind on the driveways. Looking for techniques, or new equipment options or any adjustments .Appreciate the feedback!

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Pre salt the driveway, before the snow starts.

Makes the snow slide off much easier. My experience anyway....

3. NeighbourL

NeighbourL Junior Member
    from Toronto

I worry that would be costly with time and material?

4. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

It made a HUGE difference for me. Test drive one driveway and see it for yourself. If it works, great ! All you need to do is to sell it as an upcharge, and make more money on it.

Snow removal is just that. Push the snow around so you can traverse the area. No one ever said that the surface would be near perfectly clear, and it should be conveyed to your clients that this is a "naturally occurring formation" and .... it is what it is....

Let us know how that one driveway works out for you.

5. NeighbourL

NeighbourL Junior Member
    from Toronto

Fair enough, thank you! I will try this. What salt do you suggest? Rock salt? Ice melter? Liquid?
    Many of our customers will not alow white rock salt on their driveways...

6. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I think that you would have to figure that out yourself, based upon your environmental conditions (temps) and your customer(s) allowing it or not.

Where I'm at, the temps never really stay lower than 25*f at night, and daytime it bumps up to 35*-40*F so plain old rock salt works fine. You might need something that works better in colder temps.

7. NeighbourL

NeighbourL Junior Member
    from Toronto

Ok. I will report back. If there is more advice anyone can give, it is much appreciated!

8. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

We use rock salt for pretreating and then once you push the snow it melts right away. The salt helps us for traction too. Just our personal experience with it, but we only do parking lots here in Kansas City

9. NeighbourL

NeighbourL Junior Member
    from Toronto

Thanks for the advice! I will have to see if the customers will accept rock salt. We have had many of our customers say no to rock salt in the past. The ice melter we use is much more expensive. Pre applying ice melter may prove to be costly, and I not sure if the customers will pay for the up charge.

10. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Hey no problem! I'm actually only a an early teenager. I've been plowing with my dad since I was 3. I really love plowing. But yeah, using the salt has proven to be much easier for us. Hope it goes good for you this season!

11. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Different equipment. ... loader cleans up much better

12. NeighbourL

NeighbourL Junior Member
    from Toronto

Which loader do you use for residential driveways?

13. NeighbourL

NeighbourL Junior Member
    from Toronto

Appreciate it! Same to you!

14. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Yeah thanks!

15. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

In a condo community we use a skid loader with a large bucket

16. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

17. NeighbourL

NeighbourL Junior Member
    from Toronto

18. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I had a driveway route in Massachusetts for years (my avatar was my first truck). I never pre-treated and my 8' Fishers with a back drag cleaned just fine. I'd love to see a picture of what you are thinking is not good enough.

19. NeighbourL

NeighbourL Junior Member
    from Toronto

Good idea. I will post after next snow fall.

20. NeighbourL

NeighbourL Junior Member
    from Toronto

Does anyone else have any issues have 7600 HD blizzard plows?