1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow removal process???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mackengr, Dec 5, 2005.

1. mackengr

mackengr Junior Member

I am new to the plowing thing. I do know that my question is going to look somewhat silly, but I have no other option. Can someone tell me the process of snow removal for a small snow (say 2-4")? I am looking for guidance in timing of spreading salt, when to plow (before or after salting). Do I salt before the snow is falling, but anticipating an accumulative snowfall? Do I wait for the snow to accumulate and salt to kick in before plowing? You get the point. I hope someone can help ASAP.
  2. jackrusselfire

jackrusselfire Junior Member

We salt just when it starts tracking on the roads and then we plow and salt at the same time. if you are talking about road way's.
  3. mackengr

mackengr Junior Member

I will be plowing industrial and commercial parking lots.
  4. jackrusselfire

jackrusselfire Junior Member

Well then depending on what part of day it is. If the places are going to be open for buesness before or during the snow fall. Pre salt so no one slips and falls and so cars can move. If they are not open plow then salt.
  5. mackengr

mackengr Junior Member

For example: I have a business that is open 24 hours and will take 3 plows 5 hrs. each to plow. It starts snowing between 3am and 6am. It continues to snow for a couple of more hours. Can you take me through the process? Plow driving lanes, spreading salt, plowing, re-plowing, sidewalks, etc. Thanks for your help.
  6. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

Just curious... how are you bidding these commercial lots or are you working for someone?
  7. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Depending on how many lots you have an how big they are (too many variables) usually during a snowstorm commercial accounts like employee parking areas and main isles to be opened up (plowed) and salted and well as entranceways and sidewalks. It's best to plow with the storm and don't let it all fall and then plow. It sometimes can be good to presalt anticipating a storm but I find most people won't pay for that. Salt is not very effective for anything over 1". Most comemrcial lots want the lot plowed at 1" trigger but some are stingy and want you to wait til 2" have fallen. What kind of truck and plow are you using for these lots? You a solo operation or do you have some other trucks as well. The more we know the more we can help you out.
  8. mackengr

mackengr Junior Member

Our contracts state when will be begin plowing (typically 2"). We will be using 3 trucks (F-250 w/8' Snoway) (900 lb tailgate spreader). We have parking lots that range from 20,000 sq. ft to 900,000 sq. ft. I am very mechanically inclined so I know I will figure this thing out, but our first accumulating snow is coming and I don't want to waste my time, my employees time and most importantly MONEY! Just want to be as efficient as possible. We price most jobs per push, per de-icing app., per snow shovel sidewalks.
  9. Snow Plow Business

I bought a CD called snow plow business from www.SnowPLowBusiness.com

It takes your through the business part, has sample contracts etc. but is lax on the "how to plow" part. It was a help though.
    Still haven't plowed my first drive...been studying this whole thing since last Dec. (04). Can't get my dumba$$ mechanic to get my plow that was only going to take "2 days" to get for my quad-been waiting since Nov. 25th '05.

I'm small time...you'd go broke here trying to get people to pay for ANYTHING, especially snow plowing. People don't buy extras here, they do without or do it themselves. I have 1 (one) retired couple that has pre-agreed to have me plow their small driveway at $20 with my ATV.
    I have $1,000 wrapped up in my plow, advertising and still haven't gotten a plow yet or our first snowfall. Tell me again how much money I can make plowing snow.
  10. Shadowrider

Shadowrider Junior Member

So how is that snow plow business program?