1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow removal options - please advise

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gilroy69, Sep 23, 2015.

1. gilroy69

gilroy69 Junior Member

I wasn't sure if I should post here or in the home-owner/enthusiast section, but it's kind of a gray area. Moderator please move this thread if it doesn't belong here.

My situation is this - I bought a home with a few hundred feet of driveway to keep clear of snow (northern WI, sometimes get lake effect snow).
    Not a big deal.
    But I have learned that the previous owner used to clear a few houses on the same road as I am. This was in exchange for land crossing access to prime 4 wheeler trails.
    So....If I want to be a good neighbor, it looks like I'll be clearing their drives as well. Some have offered to pay as well, but I have no idea what to charge.
    This adds a significant amount of snow to remove.
    I have a bobcat S175 and have only ever needed the dirt bucket in the past, but now I'll have to look at something else.

This is about 3000ft of gravel driveway in total, including my own.

1. What would be the best option in terms of quick plowing?
    Snow thrower, Snow plow (V or fixed), or Snow Bucket/Pusher?

2. If I just wanted to cover fuel cost and machine maintenance costs, how do I figure a price for the two neighbors involved?

Any other advice?
    Let me know if I left any essential information out.

Thanks!

plowing.jpg

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd just get something like a boss skid steer plow.
    It's a straight blade but can be angled. I don't think for the application you'd be using it for; that a pusher would be any good. However, you could go with a vee plow which would be useful of big drifts as well as stacking but I don't believe boss makes one for a skid

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I'd put a blower on it, especially if you're in a lake effect area. I'm just a personal plower - myself and my neighbor, but large country driveways. I mainly plow with my truck but also have a skidsteer eith a blower (and heated cab). When we get heavy lake effect, it's pretty easy to do a quick clean up with the blower without creating large piles that themselves create more drifting. I also use it for Nor'easters - let the storm finish and then bliw it away.

Since you've already got the skidsteer itself, just get the blower (I assume you have hi flow hydraulics).

4. gilroy69

gilroy69 Junior Member

I've seen guys use V plows and move snow pretty fast. I wasn't sure about the big drifts/stacking, but that seems logical. I feel I'd be too limited with a straight blade and I don't want to take the time to go home and change to a bucket.
    Thanks for the advice!

5. gilroy69

gilroy69 Junior Member

I too have a heated cab, however the S175 does not have high-flow, just standard flow of 16.9 gpm.
    The blower is the most expensive option at just under 6k delivered for a low flow blower. I'm sure if I look I can find something used for less.

I was figuring a blower would be the fastest option in terms of I doubt I'd have to make more than one pass in each direction, and moving old stacks/large drifts probably wouldn't take long.
    Then again I've seen guys move snow pretty fast in v-plow setups - pushing and stacking as needed.
    Thanks for the advice.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

A blower clearing 10,000 feet @ 5 mph would take how long.
    ......? Now times that by how many events.

As 2010 says, a BoSS Vee would be my choice also, accept it would be a Western

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

And why do you feel you'd be limited with a straight blade?

8. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

A blower does a very neat job, but they're slower than death in deep snow. A plow would be faster and cheaper.

9. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

If I understand to OP correctly, his only equipment is the skidsteer. He's not going to go much faster with a blade on it vs a blower, and he wouldn't be able to throw the snow very far to the side(so end up with high and narrow banks). Given that, I'd still opt for a blower. Can just switch to the bucket to move banks back (can be quicker than blowing them).

10. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

I know a guy that has three of the 4...(not the "V")
    the bucket never comes off, he has since sold the blower, didn't like throwing rocks, and the blade just sits. May have sold that too.
    He is doing a smaller resort with it...heated cab.

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

V plow is the way to go, I'd suggest running tire chains to.

12. gilroy69

gilroy69 Junior Member

To clarify, I was only considering using my skid steer to do the snow clearing.

My only experience with a straight blade is an old full size jeep with a power angle 7.5ft Western plow. It does an ok job, but I can't move heavy wet snow very well, nor can I move frozen banks with it.
    It would make sense that on a skid steer a straight blade would be much more formidable in heavy banks and snows, but not nearly as fast as the jeep.

Since most of our snowfall is less than 6 inches at a time, I think I'm leaning toward a plow or snow bucket. The blower seems like overkill for small snows. Or is it?

Any ideas on what or how to charge? I was thinking $25.00 per clearing. Easily covers fuel, and gives me some money toward maintenance.
    I don't plan to get out of the cab for doing steps or walkways. Just the driveways.

Edit - And I really appreciate the input and suggestions. It's helped a lot. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Vee straight down the middle on 1st pass, angle right on turn trip to start, angle left to left side on 3rd pass...on 4th and final return trip huge left side, next snowfall huge right side on last return trip.

14. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

I would get reg plow for bobcat. And no chains. They tear stuff up. As long as you keep up no issues. I usually plow my 900ft with 2wd quad. Of course if you let it get 2ft + deep your gonna need any and all options

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

It's a gravel driveway, once its frozen there's not much to get torn up.
    The main reason why I suggested it was in the event you slip of the grade of the road/driveway you'll have a better chance of getting back on grade without having to get a pick up or wrecker to pull you back on grade. Not like a ATV where you can get off it and typically move it by yourself by lifting/shoving it or use the winch on it once you pulled the plow off.

16. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

. Ya I agree. I just hate the marks chains leave on concrete if they were to touch any.

17. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Did I read this right? You have a jeep with a western plow? If yes, spend no money. Jeep skid tag team. You'll get a feel for where/when to use each one.

18. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly what I was thinking. You can buy quick attach plates (the flat piece that mounts onto the front of the skid) anywhere that sells skid steers. Then have a mount fabricated on it that would connect to your jeeps plow. Hook the hydro hoses up (you may have to make adapters to fit it to the skids hydros) and your done. Mount plates run less than $150 and whatever the hydraulic adapter fittings cost to make it fit the skid and you're done.

19. gilroy69

gilroy69 Junior Member

I like that suggestion. In all fairness, I'll have to drop some cash into the Jeep as it does run, but needs some way overdue maintenance to be reliable again. Once I got the Bobcat, the failing Jeep sat in cold storage for many years.

I'll put my money in to the Jeep for now and use the Bobcat as needed.

20. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

A few bucks for jeep now. Then when jeep totally fails go to dericks suggestion put the plow on the skid. Plows adapt very easy.