1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Removal on Air Bases

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sun&snow, Sep 8, 2004.

1. sun&snow

sun&snow Junior Member
    from midwest

We are looking at bidding an Air Force Base. We know we can handle the work but are curious as how to price it? Have any of you ever done a military base? And if so how did you arrive at your price?
  2. North Country

North Country Senior Member

We bid a Navy facility last year and used a standard bid, they thought it was too high - they never signed with anyone and got stuck during the first snow. I am sure that there is no standardized bid procedure throughout the military so our area probably means nothing to you.

Just bid as you normally would and see what happens.

That is the only military work we have ever bid, we are going to give the Navy another crack this year though. - michael
  3. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

The problem with bidding military bases is that you're probably bidding AGAINST the military itself. The Grounds Maintenance shop is already there on the base and someone is probably trying to outsource that work. So they ask for bids and they also get one from the already in place grounds maintenance shop. It's tough to beat them because they don't figure in depreciation of equipment, a building to stay in, or anything like that.. Usually they're augmented by military personnel with heavy equipment training as well and they aren't "paid" out of thier bid. Hope that makes sense and GOOD LUCK!!
  4. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I was kinda in the same boat as Country, I had a hospital on base call be for a bid because they were LAST on the route of the base. They ended up keeping it in house and got stuck after the first snow. Military is funny about stuff sometimes. They also called me in june and didn't have an answer untill oct 15. Thats when their fiscal year started.