1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Removal Industry in Northern New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by stevie fierce, Dec 29, 2008.

1. stevie fierce

stevie fierce Junior Member
    from NH

Hi everyone,
    I'm Steve from Long Island. I own a Landscape/Snow Removal Business here for the last 5 years. I have been in the business for almost 15 years. My wife and I have been dreaming of relocating to northern NH (white mountain region) for a couple of years now. As far as work goes for me, I would be selling my operation down here in NY and wanted to get involved in this industry again up there in NH. Of course with any business, steps need to be taken to insure success and I have a ton of planning still to do. With that said, I currently service (under contract) condominium/apartment complexes and commercial lots. I have two plow trucks and an arsenal of snow blower/shoveler guys that come along with me. I also have a skid steer for when snow needs to be piled in extreme cases which are very rare here in NY.

My questions really involve the specifics of how you guys do it up north? Here on Long Island, when they forecast for 2" of snow every moron with a plow is racing around for a buck (myself included). Do many of you guys up there work for the towns or counties or state? Are many of you simply private guys who do it on "the side". What about you big guys? Are there many contracts up in NH with servicing small businesses and retail lots? What about the condos and apartment buildings? Residential?

I hope to not be kidding myself thinking I am going to come up to NH and make a killing (or even just an honest living). I'm sure there are many of you guys already doing a fine job! If anyone can give me some of the ins and outs with plowing in NH it would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Member

I live in the White Mtns of New Hampshire. Most of the state and town jobs are taken with full time employees. It is hard to make a killing up here with snow removal unless you can get into a commercial lot of a shaws or wal-mart type business. Most companies are small. Two or three guys with plows and spreaders. They grab small lot contracts and residential drives.Its hard because the population is smaller and most people have plows for their own drives and if they don't the neighbor does or a buddy that just drops by and does it for free. Where you can really make out is a salt and sand spreader in the back of your truck. If you are looking at the big boys it is basically a guy that has a large front end loader that can come down and push snowbanks back when they get too large and start spilling into the parking lot. Thats kinda an overview, let me know if you need anything else.
  3. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I live in the foot hills of the white mountains, the lakes region. I have been plowing commercially for about 20 years. I started out as a one or two driveway operation. With a 1/2 ton pickup. I now have a 3/4ton, with an 8' plow, and a 1 ton, with a 9' plow and a Curtis 2.0 yard spreader. I service between 35 and 40 driveways every year. These include two small apartment buildings. I don't get rich but it pays the bills and then some in the winter months. I do all my own repairs as I am a body man / mechanic by trade, that right there saves me allot of profit.
  4. stevie fierce

stevie fierce Junior Member
    from NH

Good info guys. Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. I was wondering how difficult it is to land the small lot contracts. I'm sure it's a "who you know" type of thing because there are so many guys eager to do the work. But that is anywhere I guess.
    I was told by a local guy when we were vacationing up there that you "need" a front end loader to make good money up there. I suppose that is true because when I started out plowing I worked for a guy who had a huge snow pusher attached to the front of his loader and we used to kill 6 HUGE lots in a few hours. Well, thanks guys and keep the info/advice coming!
  5. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I'm just over the border in Maine from the White Mountains. A front loader will help you make money as the season progresses and the driveways and private roads have big banks and no room to push snow anymore. Then you call a guy with a front loader to push the banks back and make more room. Last February was so bad, we had to hire a bull dozer to open up our one mile road.

As far as plowing, lots of people already have plows on their trucks for their own personal use. But there are lots of people who don't. At least around here, there have been guys who have been doing it for years. And when they get out, they usually sell their contracts off to some one else. You should find out who is a big contractor in the area you want to more to. You might get lucky and find someone who is ready to retire. You could also find a young guy who just took over the area.

Good luck with your relocation.

(escapee from Northern NJ)