1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow removal in Western NC? and many other questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rapid_darby, Jan 31, 2007.

1. rapid_darby

rapid_darby Junior Member

I am 2 years into my lawn care business ... Freedom Lawn Care - My question(s) are:
    I am starting to go after commercial accounts. I have one commercial account that may be interested in hiring me but they will only hire a land care company that also does snow removal. ...The past 2 years here in Western NC there has been little to no need for snow removal ...Is it worth it to offer it just to get this account? 24k a year account w/out snow removal.
    I plan on trying to get the account then this coming fall get just enough equipment to do snow removal if there is a need - I would get a salt/sand spreader and a (cheap) plow for my truck - or possibly just buy a cheap beater truck that is already set up for snow removal/sand spreading.
    --what would be a good option for equipment to do this?
    --am I crazy to be considering this?

--Commercial accounts that are like this will not hire seperate snow removal companies because there is so little need for snow removal that they are afraid that if they hire someone just for snow removal that they will not get good service or they will not be able to find someone who they can contract just for snow removal and no other services.

---what are snow removal rates? salt? sand? etc... -
    ---Do you charge a flat fee to contract plus additional fees each time you salt/sand plow?
    -- help!!!!

I have a 06 Ram QC 4x4 and I really don't want to put a plow and/or spreader on it... its too nice, but if it gets me this account it may be worth it?

I hope to expand my business enough to justify a new (old) truck and trailer to run a seperate crew ...this would justify a new (old) plow truck too.

what do you all think?

what is the best way to go after more commercial accounts?
  2. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Well I do not know much about snow removal in NC.You just have to do the numbers.Like new plow price and snow removal insurance etc.Ask yourself after you do the numbers is it really worth the money.If you want more commercial accounts get the phone book out or drive around and ask are you taking Bids.All they can say is no.But prices very so much depending on where you live.Try the search button up top and type in pricing or keywords you will get alot of information.It's not rocket science its just living and learning from mistakes and hard work.

3. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

If you don't want to do snow removal find someone to sub it out to. When I first got into the lawn care business I always got a sub to do work that I was not ready to do yet.That way you can bid those jobs and get them without offering all the services the customer wants. I would bill the customer and add an extra % to the bill so I would still make some money on the sub work. Most companies are looking to just write one check to one company for all their lawn and landscape needs.Hope this helps. Good Luck!