1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow removal From Parking Structure

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stephen.white, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Stephen.white

Stephen.white Junior Member
    from Chicago

Looking for specifications for snow removal from parking structures to be used for roll-out across a shopping center portfolio.

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure what your looking here ? How to plow ? What equipment to spec ?
    Be more specific please.
    Todd

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Maybe looking for bids on a shopping center?

Looking at it again, I think he's wanting us to tell him how to bid a parking structure.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  4. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

If its a parking structure...ah forget it....lol

Theres the roof and the entrances/exits. Price it like you do every other standard commercial site no loader required. 150 an hour. Right>?

5. Stephen.white

from Chicago

I am not looking foir how to bid a parking deck. I work for a shopping center owner and am writing a spec to be consistent at all centers accross the portfolio to protect our structured parking assets. I obviously came to the wrong place. lol

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What you're talking about is called a "Request for Proposal". Without seeing specifics of the sites, it would be difficult to help you to any meaningful extent. I would suggest contacting SIMA (Snow and Ice Management Association) and ask if there is anyone in your area who would act as consultant.

7. ynvvbr

ynvvbr Member

Stephen,

not that you came to the wrong place, but your topic is kinda broad.

Different things affect a wide range roll-out like that:
    1) Type of parking structure
    2) age
    3) prior maintenance
    4) how many stories
    5) accessability of snow equipment

All these things figure differently, you dont want us plowing parking sturcture with an F-350 with a ton of rock salt and a steel blade.

You'll need to specify in general, poly blades, no rock salt, controlled de-icing operations, maybe even liquid de-icer, access of equipment and size, and also if you have to remove snow from the upper deck. You should also check with the engineers of the structures and see what specifications they had for maintenance, etc. That should at least get you started. Like one of the guys said check with SIMA, i am not an expert by any means but I have taken care of a 4 story parking deck since the year after it opened and have seen the damage first hand of not doing things right (guy previous to us).

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

A couple other things to consider are stacking spots over structural supports. How many parking spots can be used up ?
    Removal how? Will a loader work, or a blower ? Does the snow need to hauled off site ? Lots of variables that influence pricing heavily.
    I am north of the city, I may be able to help you out.
    Todd

9. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

10. Stephen.white

from Chicago

Thanks - these comments are helpful.