1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Removal Ettiquett

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Boyerlandscape, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Boyerlandscape

Boyerlandscape Member

I think I spelt right...:]

So I have a few commercial accounts which if it actually snows a bit here will require hauling off site.

(It is of course to late for this year but...) Is it legal, binding, and will they even sign, a clause in future contracts basically restricting them to only using me for removal. I have no fear that they would go off to someone else for this service, but for future customers next year...If I was able to basically institute some sort of non-compete...more like non-hire...I could stand to be the winner. I bring this us because in the past I've been the guy doing work on properties the competition plowed.

If this is possible, I see some real opportunities in other properties, some which I may not be interested or able to plow, but could lock them in for a hauling rate and monopolize myself.

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

It doesn't hurt to slip it in the contract and hope they don't object. That's how contracts are negotiated. The downside is that if they don't understand it and it kicks in, you may be in for a battle and you might lose them as a customer.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So your in the mob?
  4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I litralee (spelt right I think) no idea what I just read or what you are asking.
  5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

How many times did you read it. I am at 6 now... no 7, just wanted to check before i clicked submit. :laughing:
  6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

8 now.

Are you asking if you can write into the contract that they cannot hire someone else to do the work that you have outlined in the contract???

I think this is what you mean???
  7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I can't believe you don't have it in your contract already. Yes you can write it in and see if they will sign the contract. Yes you could approach other properties to inquire about snow hauling for them even though you don't plow the snow there. If the company doing the plowing doesn't have that aspect covered in their contract, you could get it. You would be unpopular with said company I'm sure. You could offer your hauling services to other plow companies directly and be less of a scumbag.Thumbs Up
  8. Boyerlandscape

Boyerlandscape Member

Valid point on if they wanted to fight it on losing them. As far as being a scum bag...to me, under cutting someone is a scum bag move. Competition however is a great thing, and at the end of the day of I can do the job more efficiently either for cheaper or more money into my pocket, I win.

To the few above critiquing my spelling, please excuse me. New lap top, and I may have been indulging in a few cold ones.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You can write whatever you want into your contract......doesn't mean the customer will accept it.
  10. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe that company could put in your contract that you can only plow and remove snow for them and not work for any other company. Would you sign that, not me.
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

12. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

THANK YOU for signing my contract. PLEASE don't stiff me for the work I did.
  13. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Snow Removal Ettiquett

There are no manners or politeness on this forum:laughing:
  14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Sure there is you just need to adjust you're standards a bit.........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'd be nice to assume all business owners have some ethics, morals, etiquette and have employees that do too.

If I understood the OP asked was a aboot approaching a property mgr aboot hauling snow or the contractor that's plowing the property.
    If so you have 2 choices:

Approach the other contractor aboot being a sub for hauling snow. This could be a networking opportunity since it would appear the contractor doesn't have the equipment to do it. There's a potential you would be his guy for hauling snow and similar type of work in the summer. I sub oot work to guys that are equipped for it and they sun work oot to me.

Or you can sit tight this season and bid the work for next season.