1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Removal Employees - Anyone else pay like this?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by lawnlandscape, Sep 16, 2011.

1. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Just a little history first: I have done landscaping/lawn care for a number of years, but just moved into snow removal 5 years ago. My first couple years in business I had a hell of a time keeping employees over the winter season because of the amount of hours they would work throughout the season (just when it snows). I have always gave my employees a higher wage during the winter season, because of the low amount of hours.

3 years ago, after going through 5 guys over the course of the previous season in 1 position, I had an idea of a different way to pay my snow removal employees that would encourage them to stay around. (These are employee's not subcontractors).

All of my employees get a based wage + an hourly bonus. The bonus is BANKED over the entire winter season, and is paid out on April 15th the following spring ONLY if certain criteria is met... which are:

1) Employee completes winter season with us (if they don't, but give us at least a 2 week notice (and did not miss any snowfalls) they are still entitled to 50% of their bonus)

2) Employee shows up no later then 1 hour after being called to come in for snow removal work (I always call my guys to warn them 24-48 hours before snow is excepted)

3) Employee shows up and works EVERY snowfall throughout the winter season. If one snowfall is missed, season bonus is reduced to 50%, if 2 snowfalls are missed, bonus is forfeited. (When hiring snow removal workers, I always tell them the only acceptable excuse for not coming in, is if you are in the hospital or dead-and I am serious...)

4) If you are terminated due to performance issues, your entire bonus is forfeited.

The last 3 years, I have used this model and it has worked sooo well!

An example of how 2 of my employees were paid last year:

Shoveler/Snow Blower
    Base Wage: $10.00 per hour
    Bonus: $5.00 per hour
    So, this employee actually made $15 per hour, but $5 per hour was banked and then paid out on April 15th when he completed the snow removal season with us.

Plow Truck Driver
    Base Wage: $13.00 per hour
    Bonus: $6.00 per hour
    So, this employee actually made $19 per hour, but $6 per hour was banked and then paid out on April 15th when he completed the snow removal season with us.

I am just wondering if anyone else has used models similar to this, and I also posted this as a tip to other guys with employees as something that has worked well for my company.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  2. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

Very detailed sounds like a great pay schedule, you obviously put a lot of thought into this, might try something like that this year. Thanks for the info!!
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I know all areas are different in pay. But if I was shoveling snow for that ,I'd rather roll over in bed and call me in the spring.
  4. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Roger that!Sounds like a great plan,but I'm thinking you would be hard pressed to get reliable shovelers or drivers for that $$$....around here at least.
  5. grandview

Doesn't Wisconsin get to 50 below zero in the winter?
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Do they have a minimum guarantee. I wouldn't get out of bed for those $'s
  7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Is that legal? How do they report their wages to unemployment? Sounds like a good system, just wondering if it's all on the up and up.
  8. grandview

I assume they are employees and get paid. The bonus is paid at the end of the season ,that's when the taxes would kick in.
  9. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Guys jump all over $10 an hour shoveling jobs around here.
  10. grandview

I'd jump around a shoveling job to!
  11. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Sounds like that pay scale works good.
  12. MattsPlowingWI

MattsPlowingWI Junior Member

No, no it's not Antartica or Canada! The bonus is a great idea, I have issues getting shovelers to stick with us too! I'll be giving this a shot for sure! Of course it's legal, this gets reported as ordinary income and payol tax is deducted, it's a contractual bonus.
  13. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Another member on here suggested it to me earlier this yr, and we are trying it this year for the first time. Only thing is I am starting the bank with $200 and it will grow from there based on hrs worked.
  14. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

I prefer to stay in the truck payup:sleeping:
  15. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We pay a higher wage to start with, but we do $3 per hour, must make every call. No excuses. We also have employees that are paid salary year round regardless of how much they work, but if over 20 a week in winter they make hourly, it has worked very well.
  16. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Sign me up for your Florida sites.
  17. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

OP, I swear you stole our employment contracts LOL! We've been doing this for several years and it's worked out great! Thumbs Up
  18. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Higher wage, I also include damages as a clause for the plow drivers.

If its a "things happen damages" that's usually ok, because we have all been out thier. If you back a plow truck or salter over a car or back into a building, well that's not OK.

We call ours a performance based incentive.
    A Banked Hourly bonus could get you into trouble if you don't pay it for some reason.

Sometimes its all about the wording.
  19. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Right you are. I believe my attorney worded it as "preventable accidents". One of my guys last year clipped a fence post and scraped the side of the box and broke the taillight. It was certainly preventable, he got closer to it than he should have, but I chalked it up to "things happen" and paid him his bonus. Another guy backed into a pole and a car within 7 hours of each other. The pole I gave him a pass on, the car not so much, he didn't get his bonus.
  20. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I like it. At the end of the year do you write them a bonus check? And thoughout the year on the employee payroll, I assume their horly pay is posted as the base pay?