1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow relocation

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1msmith, Dec 26, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i dont know about everyone else , but in my area, the piles are tall, and you cant even begin to see curbs any longer... so is anyone getting calls or recommending relocation? onsite or hauled out
  2. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

got 100 loads coming out of downtown tonite
  3. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

we did snow removal last saturday on a small lot, and again today at another smaller lot. our large lots still have a couple decent storms to go before we need to haul em out.
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We relocate snow every storm. Our customers trust our judgement and we just bill it out accordingly or it's included. When we think we need to haul snow we call the customer for conformation and then start to haul.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My customers are to cheap. They just park closer together.
  6. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Already did some (fun chaining down equipment on the trailer in below 0 temps :D ), still have more to do.
  7. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Chargeable removal is the best. Free restacking with a loader sucks.
  8. elite1msmith

from chicago

must be nice jd
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We did 11 small sites we have last week. We leave all the snow on site, usually on the grass or a corner they don't use. I sub it all as my skid is to small and slow. The guy I use has a backhoe and he is so quick it leaves me room to make a couple of bucks. Last year when it was so busy we had the backhoe and my skid running. The skid doesn't have enough reach.
  10. elite1msmith

from chicago

so get this guys. one of those apartments that i do

its bad... i mean bad. ppl refuse to move there cars, then complain that they got plowed in , when we acctually angles the blade away from them

but there is no place to put the snow

so the piles on the few parkign islands are spilling into the drive lane big time... its only 1 car wide now

so i called and recommended relocation , for an additional charge, they acctually said no ., its not in the budget

so ,. i told her, well we will be bringing the bobcat in, to clean up spots that finally moved (alot stayed in with the holiday) what would you like us to do with allthe snow?

well she said , put it in the street. (drive lane) and let it melt and go down the sewer
  11. 4Seasonsmgt

4Seasonsmgt Junior Member

I would not put any snow into any street, it is to much of an liability. Do u have a signed contract with her?
  12. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

we've been moving snow for the past week or so, parking lots are getting full, some customers have called, others we have suggestively sold, since the loader would be in the area anyway. most places we just restack it on site, did a place last night, which turned into a real disaster, two dump trucks running, that had to stay together since the dumpsite was getting so muddy they had to constantly pull each other out, and they had to drive real slow, 4 hour job turned into 8 1/2. gave me time to catch some sleep in the loader between loads. I'm off to do some more tonight, gotta move it before it all melts!

for those apartments just start angling it towards the cars. piles are in the way, and you cant plow into the street, so windrowing towards the cars sounds like the best option, they'll get the idea eventually to pay you to move it.
  13. elite1msmith

from chicago

when i said street , its a drive lane, on there own property which they own

we were told not to stack any snow in a few locations due to poor drainage...well we plowed as best we could avoinding those areas...until we ran out of room, i told m guy to push it to the island(were we were not suppost to)

i called her told her the situation , i told her, i had to put it there, and i will be glade to come out for free, and remove it from those spots...in a manor that will allow a truck with a snow plow to relocate it. but , there isnt any place for it to get relocated to , its all full

as i saw it , her only option was to truck it out, or at least to a different part of the property

this was her idea.... becasue they are over budget...

i t looked like hell for 2 hours... lots of pppl complaining,,, but i will say effective, cuz 2 hours later it was all melted
  14. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Don't you have a relocation/hauling clause in your contract? We quit doing apartments just because of the reason you stated....there is nowhere to put the snow. I put a haul off clause in almost all my contracts.
    The last weekend before Christmas I had a property manager call me as we do the lot and it has Target, Toys R us, and about 12-15 other shops in it. We had about 4" of snow the week before and had some good piles....but have piled it way higher before we have hauled it before, but he said Target requested that it be hauled out since they expect the lot to be full with last minute shoppers....
  15. elite1msmith

from chicago

its in the contract as an extra, and needs management approval
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

And the worse part is, the only person who looks bad to everyone is you and you did nothing wrong.
  17. elite1msmith

from chicago

blieve me , i know

most of our contracts are worded that i havefree rain and can haul or do as needed, provided i can justify it

however this is one of those rare contracts that needed to be worded differently. They are aware they have a problem , this is a new managementcompany

to give you an idea, the prevoius company, last DEC , had to tow ppls cars out of the lot , because it was so bad..and lack of coperation from the tenets . im not talkign abotu a few cars... they gave a 2 day notice, and on day 3 at 8 am , they towed 80 cars and put them on the street... the lot got clean , u then had till 5 pm to put your car back , or they towed and impounded it... and as a tenant , u had to pay to get it back
  18. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

sounds like a good time to own a towing company and a snow removal company at the same time!!

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

We move piles after every snow.
  20. akplowman

akplowman Junior Member

Depends on the lot size. I have three properties that are hauled out the same night as the plow. For the rest its a requested service. Some properties have plenty of room for onsite storage and the pile or piles will stay all winter, while others take a couple plows before the piles start impeding parking and we get called to haul it out.
    Based on history of hauling a property, I will usually contact the manager for permission once the pile gets to a certain size; this usually allows me to do it on my schedule versus doing it when they call and not being able to line up the right number of trucks or already having a full schedule and having to sub it out, etc.
    I only have one property with preapproval to haul once the pile has taken up 8 or more stalls.
    The properties that don't get hauled, I still have to loader stack every couple of plows to maximize storage, and i bill hourly for that; its not included in the plow price. It is understood that we do it to minimize the possibility of them having to foot the bill for hauling.
    I'm gonna be doing some hauling and stacking in the next few nights and will try to get some good pics to post.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008