1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow pushing video: road opening

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by maple-guy, Jan 11, 2009.

1. maple-guy

maple-guy Member

I've been lurking around for a few weeks now and I decided it was time to register and at least give a little back to compensate for the knowledge I gained here.

Basically, I own a small 86 acres maple farm and I have a 1km road from the main road to my sugar shack and parking lots. Back in 2002, I didn't have alot of money and I bought a 'personal' snowplow from Costco. It was a little less than 7 feets wide and about 19 inches high with manual tilt and winch lift. It was far from being suited for the job but I alway managed to keep everything opened fro 6 winters. It was so beaten up that it was looking like a V-Plow even if it was a straight blade. I had to use clamps to keep the angle and 50% of the time it wouldn't go up or down. It served me well but this season, it was time for a serious tool.

I bought the Western 8.6 Pro Plus and I used it for the first time a few days ago. I was absent on a business trip for the whole month of December. Snow fell but mostly melted away but a few inches. Last week was the first snowfall since.

Here a video of the opening of a road that had never been opened since the beginning of winter. The snow was between 10 and 16 inches deep with a few 24 inches spots. There was a little crust of ice in between the layers. It was slightly downhill but the truck was pushing real hard sometimes going sideways (I'm used to that by now) as you will see.

http://www.jflaplante.org/Pelle01.wmv

I would estimate that it takes me half the time to complete the same job with the plow. Partly because the snow hardly never goes over the blade to jack up the truck...

---
    02 2500HD Duramax
    8.6 Western Pro Plus

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

That's the way to do it! Some tough conditions to plow under for sure, with the crusting up of the layers, month old snowfalls and all. I was hoping for your sake, that there were no hidden large branches buried in the ice that might have sent you off the road. Looks like your plow never even tripped. Thanks for sharing the vid and welcome to Plowsite.

3. amilehighplowin

amilehighplowin Junior Member

Nice truck...

But it looks like you need more ballast weight in the rear of the bed up against the tailgate...this will give you much need traction.

I would run about 1000 Pounds back there.

4. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Nice rig.

But I would agree that more ballast in the back would help with the sliding and such.

5. KCB

KCB Senior Member

I like this video because it plays in media player and its large so you can actually see what going on.
    Now if I were you, and was breaking that road I would make a pass with the blade raised to take off the first half layer of snow and ice. Then put it on the ground, and in this situation using the shoes is probably not a bad idea either. Go slower, so you don't kill your truck, and you wont look like such a hillbilly.:Dtymusic

6. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Awsome Video

really putting the truck to work

7. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  8. maple-guy

maple-guy Member

Thanks for the replies.

I know about the ballast but there's 2 main reasons why I don't use one at the moment...

1- I'm not well equipped to put and remove a large cement block and put it in the bed and if I had it done by someone else; it would interfere with reason #2

2- During maple season; I often carry around a large 350 gallons tank in the bed of the truck for maple sap which, when full, weight in at 1.5 ton... In the past, I sometimes filled it up just for plowing!

That being said; that Western plow jerks the truck around a bit more than my previous wimpy one (twice the front surface). It also weight almost 3 times more. I will use a hitch mounted salt spreader in the near futur and probably will put a few 12s salt bags behind the tank (near the tailgate) on each side of the maple sap outgo pipe to keep some ballast when the sap tank is empty.

Thanks again!

9. maple-guy

maple-guy Member

I upgraded that Allison for 750hp/1400lbs of torque for when I was drag racing/sled pulling with the truck a few years ago. However, I don't use much nitrous oxyde to plow like I used to tymusic :D

10. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Good deal !ussmileyflag

11. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

Good video. I have a cabin in Angliers, Quebec and always wondered what it looked like up there in the winter. The road its on is about the same as yours but half the width. It is plowed by the town I think they plow it up to the last person staying. Also have a couple of pro plus plows they are rock solid even my guys have not been able to break them. Wings for them are great but probably wouldn't't work for what your doing.

12. maple-guy

maple-guy Member

Thanks!

I've been thinking about wings but my work is 75% road and 25% parkings on my land. Beside the occasional neighbor driveway. Putting them on and off would be a pain. Since 2002, I do my parkings like a giant road. A wide-out or a V would have been great but I preferred to choose what seemed to be the most solid straight blade for my usage.

I have a feeling that I would break something very fast plowing an uneven, gravel parking with wings.

It's good to know that your guys are not able to break them. I'm not the nicest guy to my equipment but I'm getting better over the years!

13. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I knew that duramax didnt sound stock. Its got a nice drone like my straight piped powerstroke.

14. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I thought for a minute the back was going to slip into the bank and get stuck. I've done that a few times lol. Nice vid

15. maple-guy

maple-guy Member

That truck has been abused alot. Beside the usual farmwork, a few years of drag racing chiped + nitrous oxyde, some sled pulling on top of that and of course it is now in its seventh season of Quebec winter snowplowing. If that wasn't enough, I did 4 summers of bi-montly 900km runs with a 14,000lbs gooseneck flatbed back and forth. After 253,000km I can really say that the Duramax is tough. I hope it's gonna last twice that but I wouldn't blame it doesn't. I only have myself to blame!

16. maple-guy

maple-guy Member

Thanks,

You can see my wheels are almost completely steered in the same direction as the blade to compensate for the lateral push. Like you already know;If I go slower, faster, get more traction or get less traction; that lateral force will change very fast and if I don't react I will indeed end up 90 degrees from the road like I did quite a few times in the past.

What a great feeling... Perpendicular to the road, a ditch in the front, a ditch in the back and only a few feet to move if and only if you're not jacked up on the snowbank...

If you guys like that, I will make another in the next storm.