1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Pushers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by forestfireguy, Oct 16, 2007.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Guys heres a question, We have an account which sits on an aquifer, we cannot salt this site at all. The management strongly prefers we not use sand or grit as it makes a mess of the store, it's a big box retail store. Anyway, we service this site last season using Nc3000, it works, though not nearly as well as salt or even magic-0 for that matter. We had a few of those "slop" storms last season which were nightmares even with a pre-app of the nc3000, we service this site, about 12 acres with a 14 box on 4x4 backhoe a pick up with the liquid unit and a 550 with a v-plow, We could have used a bigger machine but it's what we had and it worked, the problem was really getting a good scrape on the pavement, seemed we were only compounding the problem with the pusher by compacting the snow , this place is a 24 location and sees lots of trafic all the time. We are looking into buying a Protech IST pusher( it has a metal cutting edge on one side and you flip the whole box over for the regular urethane edge. Does anyone have any expierience with these units? We need to come up with a better way to handle this situation, we spent too many nights moving most of the snow with the pusher and the taking it off to scrape with just the bucket, which worked but took forever. Also anyone up on any new non chloride de-icers, as I understand it and I am no chemist nc3000 is potassium acetate, anyone able to compare others?????

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not very familiar with protech, but the steel trip on the Avalanche and the Daniels are really good. We sold all of our rubber cutting edge pusher blade and bought steel trip ones and we are very happy. I would never use rubber again in a normal parking lot situation. Only buy a steel edge that trips. Good luck.

3. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

How about nitrogen, Orea I think is the generic name. Mostly used in concrete parking garages where pitting and cocrete poping is a concern. Just a thought

DAFF

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

First you are talking about the protech switch blade, not the iso. The switch blade is a really cool unit. Because it acts like a normal push box. But when you get ice or need to scrap you can just flip it over. When using the steel edge it works fanastic. But the only problem is if you hit something you will break the cutting edge off. (used grade 2 bolts) so make sure you carry plenty of extra bolts and wrenchs. The nice thing is the newer units have 4 to 8 sections in them, with each section hooked to a chain. So you don't have to go looking for it after you hit something. Also then you only break off a 2' sections vs the whole 12' of cutting edge.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Why wouldn't you just by a steel trip.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

How do you know which blade he's talking about? ProTech does have a steel edge mounted to urethane for tripping, it is called the IST. :dizzy: :dizzy:

http://www.sno-pusher.com/Default.aspx?tabid=4756

Next, I would love to upgrade to these newer boxes, probably will over time, but so far the old fashioned ones just don't wear out.

If you need additional scraping ability with the truck, lose the V plow and go with a Blizzard. They are far, far superior to a V.

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know, maybe I read his post and you didn't. See below. He is talking about a Switch blade not the IST.

8. midwestsnowguy

midwestsnowguy Member
    from midwest

Daniels boxes will scrape to the pavement with their steel trip edges doesnt get better in My Opinion. www.danielsplows.com

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Must be, sorry. :eek:

Maybe he wants to know the good and bad of either type.