1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow pushers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by B&K LawnCare, Dec 13, 2005.

1. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare Member

what is the best snow pusher out there for a skid loader?
  2. GSE

GSE Senior Member

I would suggest finding a local vendor, and taking a serious look at what they carry. There isn't a whole lot of technology involved with pushers, and with the vast array of manufacturers out there, it's tough to pin one down that's better than the other. It's always a good idea to have a local conduit of support available, rather than buying one from a vendor that doesn't have local representation.

Some things to look for, in my opinion anyways, would be a rubber cutting edge and make sure the supports that hold the side boards on are solid. The ones that use tubing tend to trap snow, and this can be a PITA under the right conditions.

Some other things to consider with a Skid loader are if the machine needs to be transported during an event, you might want to go with an 8' pusher. Much easier to trailer, since you can keep the pusher on the machine without it being over width. If the machine is dedicated to one lot, look at a 10 or 12 foot, depending on the size of your machine.

All that being said, Protech and Ladex make fine pushers. I run an Everest pusher on my TLB and it's been a real workhorse. I don't believe they make a SS model though.
  3. if you are really looking for a box, let me know we can fab up any size, height, color, and logo you want. email is russdoszak@yahoo.com phone is 708 670 8504
  4. fire&ice

fire&ice Junior Member

My friend just purcahsed a PROTEC 8' unit with the pull back option. He said it worked great during the last storm.
  5. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

last year I ran a 12 foot pusher on a big loader. How do you keep the snow from building up and up wiht each snow fall???

It seems like you get about 1/2 inch of snow build up with each push, which after 20 snowfalls becomes significant in the spring thaw.

Fundamentally, no one here has been able to make one work. Buckets are the only way to get it done here, although there are some places you can use blowers.

6. digit

digit Member

We use a 10 ' pusher on our skid but as mentioned for transporting and 8' might be better also if you have any other jobs real close by that you want to drive on the road you might want and 8'. As far as manufactures there are quite a few i don't think there is a whole lot's of difference just check them out before you buy.
    As far as a pusher leaving a 1/2 inch of snow that one must not be set up right and if you salt after every plowing it should not build up. Maybe a bucket gets it a little cleaner but not near as efficient as a pusher.
  7. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

salt. hmmm.....

no one salts here.

hmmm. so you push the snow off, then salt. the salt is there for the next snow fall so the snow doesn't stick to the asphalt, and the pusher bucket works?
  8. digit

digit Member

Yes I suppose if you don't use salt maybe they don't work the greatest. We use a 24' push box on the one wheel loader which goes pretty fast then when your finish throw down rock salt and you will have pavement showing shortly unless to cold.
  9. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I would look at artic. They make a sectional box with a metal edge that will scrape better than a rubber. I plan on getting 8 foot one next year.