1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow pusher

Discussion in 'Pro-Tech Sno Pushers' started by CityGuy, Jan 6, 2009.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Can anyone tell me a little more about the back drag system on the pushers. Do they wrok good? Are rubber cutting edges better than steel? How are they for visability when back dragging?

2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 12ft. pusher from Berlon with a back drag blade. The pull back blade works great, scrapes bare (metal edge). The pusher edge is rubber, does an ok job but wears out faster than I'd like.
    Haven't run into any major problems, however I have found a few small issues. When pushing large amounts of snow forward, snow builds up instead of rolling as it gets stopped by the pull back blade. While backing up some of the snow falls back over the back drag blade on long pulls. In this case a few more passes might be needed.
    Do you have a specific machine or type of pusher that you're looking at? What is the main use of the pusher?

3. cjm8232

cjm8232 Member

Pro-Tech sells a lot of the Pull Back models to contractors that are responsible for HOA's/Condos's, the other place they are popular are industrial sites with a lot of little areas to get into, like docks and doors, etc.

Pro-Tech's pull back units are as heavy duty as the rest of the Pro-Tech line and include the 10 year warranty.

As far as visibility...I only hear of it being an issue when they are ordered with the optional enclosure panel. The enclosure panel allows you to back drag quite a bit further, but it limits the visibility of the front of the edge, so your operators have to be a little more careful when they want to get real close to something and backdrag away.

Is steel better than rubber? Both have pluses and minuses. The rubber edge is more of a squeegee and can prevent a lot of property damage when it comes to lawns if you are working in a HOA/Condos. But the rubber won't scrape up hardpack; it's better for fresh snows, or wet snows that haven't been packed down, or for surfaces that have been treated, in those conditions you will be very close to plowing down to the blacktop.

Pro-Tech's steel edge pushers use the patented IST steel trip edge and work to scrape up hardpack and fresh snows. The IST is not as forgiving on the grass around dirveways, and would not be ideal for gravel or a very rough lot. Pro-Tech manufactures the Switchblade which is both a rubber edge and an IST Steel Trip pusher all in one. However, you cannot back drag with the switchblade. For backdragging you will need to stick to Pro-Tech Pull Back line.

Also I checked out Berlon's website and saw that they use a straight up and down moldboard. That is why it doesn't roll snow. Also, if your rubber wears out too quickly here are 3 possible reasons: #1.) Possibly the use of an inferior rubber, like conveyor belt rubber. Pro-Tech's OEM Rubber is the same blend we have been using for 12 years and it is a premium rubber blend. We have yet to find another rubber blend at any price that out performs it. We tested cheaper rubber and considered offering a lower end blend as an option, but the lower end rubber did not hold up as well, retained too much memory and did not scrape as well; the only benefit was it was cheap, but offered no added value. #2.) Possibly the rubber is adjusted too far below the wear shoes. #3.) If you are on a very rough lot or gravel it will wear quicker. Warmer weather pushing will tend to wear it out quicker too, but in WI, I don't think that's the issue.

4. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the response CJM8232. How do I figure out what type of rubber is on my pusher?
    As for why I went with the Berlon; because I have it on a TV145 tractor, the strength of the loader arms was a little bit of a concern so I would prefer the pusher to bend or break as opposed to the tractors arms. Maybe that's a strange idea, but to repair the pusher is easier than the the loader frame.
    The Berlon has held up ok; since you checked out website, the bolt on wings can lead to obvious problems. Hit a curb or any other stationary object and you'll bend or snap them off. For next year I'm thinking about one more tractor with a Machinability plow.. We'll see?

5. cjm8232

cjm8232 Member

Blowerman, the only way to know what type of rubber is on the pusher is to buy the replacement one from one of Pro-Tech's distributors. If it has a different hole pattern, the distributor will have it punched to match. All our distributors stock Pro-Tech's OEM rubber.

I do know that loader arms on tractors are not as strong as a front end loader, or backhoes, or skid steers, but they shouldn't be a major concern if you are using clevis attachments in the hooks on your bucket and if you are not using a monster pusher. The clevis allows the unit to break free from the machine's bucket when accidental impact with immobile objects occurs.

Pro-Tech makes a compact pusher in addition to our skid steer pushers. The compact pushers are heavy duty, but are super light. For example an 8' compact weighs 480lbs.

And yeah, it looks like Berlon makes good stuff, but I do not understand why the side wall supports are bolted to the shoes and cutting edge. Good luck and call us at Pro-Tech if you need anything.