1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow pusher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by magneto259, Dec 16, 2013.

1. magneto259

magneto259 Senior Member

What is the greatest advantage of a snow push box? Is it move big piles of snow around? I've seen a couple skidsteers with push boxes and a big loader with one at our local mall. I've watched videos with contractors just basically plowing with a large box and loader. I've also seen videos where the skid steer just picks up the windrow from a plow truck. I can see where this would come in handy getting rid of windrows. I do a church that is about an acre big. If I push all the snow in one direction eventually I have a unweildly large amount of snow to push around. If I cut it up into smaller rows it would be easier to get rid of.

Is there a general rule of thumb on how big of a lot you need before it makes sense to have a push box moving snow around?

I don't currently do any large lots. But would certainly like to in the future.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The biggest advantage is the side plates that contain the snow. Yes it is possible to still spill out and cause wind rows, but you can contain the snow and put it where you want it. I wouldn't even think about spending the money on a loader / skid steer and a box to do a 1 acre lot, but if you already have the equipment and just need to buy the pusher, that's a different story. I do several 1 to 2 acre lots with a 12 foot pusher, and love it. I can do 3 of my 1 acre lots in the same amount of time as the guy next to one of them takes to do 1 acre lot. If your looking for containment look at a wide out type plow, or a V plow and that will really speed things up for you.
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Advantage of a kage system is its a plow and a pusher. Being your on this site I'm assuming you don't have to know how a plow works but as states above a pushers advantage is containment. For plowing, relocating, and stacking!
  4. magneto259

magneto259 Senior Member

Thanks for the replys.

I was just curious as when it makes sense to get one.
    Do you pull the skid steer to all the sites as needed?

I'm not going to buy one for one small lot, I was just using that as an example.
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, in most cases you'd use your skid with the pusher exclusively.
  6. magneto259

magneto259 Senior Member

Roger that.

3 lots to his 1. That is some efficiency. I didn't know they would perform that well. I'll check out those other plows as well.
    Is that the average 3 acres per hour?

7. magneto259

magneto259 Senior Member

That Kage Snowfire system is pretty sweet. I've seen those wideouts too and they are the cats ass. Hmmmmm.....maybe next year.
  8. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I always wondered the same thing.......till the guy I sub my sidewalk crew trusted me into one of his loaders, on a HUGE site.

He has me in a Cat IT28 with a 14' box.

I started plowing at 18 in a P/U, moved to 1 ton dumps two years later, then to the medium duty trucks. I thought the 5500 I was driving was the BEST ever for moving snow..............till I actually operated a box as realized how fast the pavement was showing up, and realizing I was there to carry the snow across the lot, keeping ALL islands clear of piles. The pick ups did all the tucking and bringing it out where I could easily get the loader.

I couldnt believe how fast we cleared the lot. Now I cant wait for a REAL storm.....not the little ones weve all grown so used to.
  9. magneto259

magneto259 Senior Member

Thats more in line with what I was thinking a box was best used for. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a bigger skid steer. I do asphalt maintenance in the spring/summer months and it can be used there as well for a big power broom. With the kage system do you need the aux hydraulics to run the plow? Thanks for the help and explanation everyone.