1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Pusher Recommendations, Pro's & Con's??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by coldcoffee, Jan 15, 2011.

1. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

For all of you guys with pusher experience, I would love to hear your thoughts on brands, models & what sizes you have found to be most effective or least problematic. I understand that everything has it's breaking point, but a top speed of 6 mph just doesn't sound realistic to me. Is there a trade off on size vrs. speed? Also, your thoughts on general maintenance, edge replacement & customer support would be greatly appreciated. I'll be in the market soon for some new equipment, I don't mind paying a bit more for quality, but I sure as hell don't want to experience what I've heard in some of these horror stories during a major snow event. Thanks guys!!
  2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

What are you planning to put the pusher on?

I have found that my skid steer pusher is most effective in 2-4" snow for the length of pushes that I have. Less than 2" and the box doesn't fill up, more than 4" and the box is full before the end of the run. I have found that having a plow windrow for the box is the most efficient way to push on the lighter storms.

I'm happy with mine, not problems as of yet. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten a steel trip edge instead of the rubber.
  3. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

They would be going on skid steers and possibly larger sized loaders. I guess for me, I'm still having the argument of snow plows vrs. pushers. I'm looking for less potential for damage, when putting drivers in trucks...transmission/drive train issues, smashed quarter panels, broken blades, etc. Also, the overall efficiency & multi tasks I could get out of the skid steers/loaders.
  4. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

I own a 9' snow wolf with box ends and metal cutting edge on our 170 New Holland 2 speed. cleans down awesome. has trip edge and the machine will do 12 mph. It does the its route with a 2 - 4 inch in 4 hours. with a truck with Boss 8'2" it took close to six hours. The blade articulates and angles. I would by another one without a question.
  5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I see about a 30% increase in production as opposed to a truck/blade with wings. My skid with a pusher and my skid with a blade do about 3 acres per hour when working together.

Unless we have a 6"+ storm, I don't even put the plow on the truck. Running two skids on each site has increased our productivity about 50%. The skid with the blade does the detail work and starts windrowing and the pusher does the bulk work and picks up the windrows.

I'm looking for some Kage units for each machine next year.
  6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I watched some Snow Wolf videos and the Alpha Series w/ optional Fast - Tach, looks impressive and versatile. I'm just not sure if there are any dealers in my area, they want you to register to get that info. Guess I'll have to wait, don't really want to deal w/ salesmen calling me yet.
  7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I like that concept. I'm looking at the Kage also, I'd imagine that would make your operators even a bit more efficient, as they could probably focus more independently on their own areas. From what I see, it seems like a lot of guys around here are sometimes trying too hard w/ one or the other. A team that understands each other can work well, but a new guy could throw a wrench in it real quick...so those type of attachments make a lot of sense.
  8. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

The Kage and Snow Wolf plow/pusher setup's look to be great for skidsteers. Your little machines can go do all the tight work and then pickup the box and push and take it all to the pile in an effective manner, I would personally go with one of these over your standard push box. Another similar option would be the Snow wing plows made by Horst, they cost more, but the wings are hydraulic and puts everything right at the fingertips of the operator.

For a large scale loader I would stick to a massive snow bucket or steel trip edge pusher. We run a 12' FFC rubber edge pusher on our Case 570MXT, it doesn't get the best scrape in the world but when used in conjunction with our rear box plow it gets down to the 'crete. As far as problems with the pusher, nothing really, there isn't much to go wrong on a steel box with a rubber edge :D We adjust the rubber once or twice a season depending on how much we use it and thats about it. Most companies make a similar product, it all really boils down to which dealer is willing to bend over backwards for your business.