1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Pusher Questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossman 92, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey all, I am looking at adding a skid steer and pusher box for the season and have a few questions.

1) what size skid steer do you recomend? I need somthing to push decent sized lots, nothing huge.

2) What size box do you guys use.

I need somthing to load salt with so I figured if I bought a skid steer and a pusher I could load salt, and add another plow to the outfit.

Also do any of you guys store salt at the job site? I have a few places that there's enough room but didn't know if it was a good idea.

Also I have no experience using pushers, are they as efficient as an 8' or 9' plow. The lots I already have and most that I have prepared a bid for could be plowed with a truck, so I don't know if i am wasting my time with a skid or not.

Thanks Bossman

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

1 Bobcat S185 with a 8' protech snow pusher will be just as productive as two pickups with 7.5' straight plows. My self and my partner will not even bid something unless you can put a protech on it. We keep salt on all of our sites for convenince.

3. Bossman 92

Hey Green, do any of your customer have a prolbem with storing salt at the site? I would use it not only for that location but everywhere else. Also do you need a material bucket to pile snow, or does the pusher work ok?

Thanks Bossman

4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Some customers like it when we keep salt at their site...it saves them money...

yes you can stack snow with the pusher on. You just cant clean up with it on.

5. itsgottobegreen

Nope most of our salt bins have 20-60 tons because we need that much per event. As for our other smaller locations. Loading a 1 or 2 tons out for another location never has been a big deal. As long as you charge the right customer for the right amount of salt you used.

Pusher have one small problem. Which is you can't really clean curb line with them. Since the skid shoes are 6" out from the sides of the box when running with the curb line. Or 24" when you are running towards the curb. You roll your box back as you come up on the curb so the fronts of the shoes slide up and over the curb, then lift up and push into the pile. So you can get the most of the snow in the box off the pavement. Then when you are done. You put the bucket on and clean up the little bit thats left next to the curb. You can make some really big piles. Its a shame I always forget to take pictures of the skids and protechs stacking. Wheel loaders are the best for making huge tall piles with protechs.

6. Bossman 92

If you could add another truck or another pusher, which would you do?

Sorry just trying to make up my mind.

7. Bossman 92

OK let me put it this way, if you had a large area to plow with a decent amount of traffic, would you rather be in a truck or skid? I think I would rather be in the skid, to stack cars! :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: But seriously, are you better off in one than the other?

8. itsgottobegreen

People don't try to pass skids with boxes vs trucks with plows. They tend to stay the heck out of the way. Plus if some runs into you. Your out $5 in paint for the bobcat Vs $5k in a bodywork for a truck.

9. Bossman 92

Thanks alot. This site is great!! payup

10. Potomac Lawns

Potomac Lawns Member

anybody ever use a v plow on a skid steer, just got a 185 and debating on pusher or blade?

11. Bossman 92

I would also like to know.

12. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

You have to remember a skid will only go up to 12 mph in a 2 speed . Fine for plowing but brutal for travel. Unless your sites are within a mile tops your going to loose too much time for travel. A couple decent sized sites within a quarter mile will pay for the machine. Drop a 40' shipping container for salt and you can store 30 ton easy. Salt plus an operator for 3 or 4 sites :D Cats ass.

For the plow versus a pusher debate. The plow will be more versatile, but not easily changed out to a bucket. The pusher is chained to the bucket, easy on off. The plow may be quick tach set up but you still have hydro lines to deal with. Plus a plow will not contain like a pusher , a v-blade would not come close to capacity of an 8' pusher .
    What do you see on large wheel loaders ? Not too many plows unless its a wing blade

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  13. Potomac Lawns

Potomac Lawns Member

Thanks T-Man for the info

14. itsgottobegreen

We had one sub last year who had a 8.5' Vplow on a LS180. He was really good at cleaning up curb lines but that was about it. We had smaller machines pushing 8' boxes and running circles around his carrying capacity. V plows on skid loaders are really just as waste unless you need to windrow and carry. But if your going to need to do that. Then get a 810SS or 8611SS plow. Pushers are the way to go. Cheap, no moving parts, and pretty much idiot proof to run.

15. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I am planning on getting two 8' pushers this year.
    One pull back on my Skid loader and another on my new tractor.

I tend to keep my skid loader in my neighborhood, I have 5 good sized condo associations and its easy to leave a machine and operator here where travel isn't an issue.

The other will be on my tractor where its mobility can be best used. I also like the idea of not spending as much time with trucks cleaning up large windrows. Keeping the trucks moving = More cash on Bid Jobs. But take my time on the hourly ones

My 2 cents

Peterbilt