1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow pusher questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jrgsno, Sep 11, 2015.

1. jrgsno

jrgsno Junior Member

I have always used protech rubber edged pushers and some homemade ones as well, in the past. Had decent luck with them.

Of course, constantly having to adjust them, replace edges, in between events. They dont deal with hardpack that great either. None of my parking lots are even close to being flat. We typically pretreat w rock salt and start plowing at 2 inches, so the hardpack isnt bad.

My question is whats the best steel edged pusher to buy. Factors being cost, scraping ability, ect. My thought is to buy one this year to try out to compare against current rubber edge boxes. If it works well, start weeding out the older rubber ones and replacing them w steel.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing to compare as far cleaning.... Steel wins.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Steel edge all the way

4. jrgsno

jrgsno Junior Member

Thanks for the help guys. With a lot of the parking lots being contoured for drainage purposes, I'm guessing a steel edged box like an arctic or something similar. The rubber gives and bends so you are able to scrape if the pavement is a little unlevel. I'm afraid that just a 12' or 14' steel edged box without floating moldboards wouldn't do the trick.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

6. jrgsno

jrgsno Junior Member

Northwest Ohio. In the far corner of the state. Toledo Ohio is closest city you may know.

7. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

Best bang for your buck would be a boss pusher, they are well built, scrape fairly well and are about half the price of a arctic or metal pless. The metal pless live edge is hands down the best scraping pusher out there. And it really shines on un even surfaces. The arctic also scrapes extremely well but it is a delicate flower when it comes to durability, supposedly the new limiter kits are supposed to make them indestructible, but I haven't had chance to use one with limiters yet

8. Neige

Neige Sponsor

9. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Rubber deals poorly with hard-pack as this video shows.
    https://youtu.be/WXIxzk2mh38

If you are looking for the best steel edged pusher then you have only two choices the Metal Pless LiveBoxx or the Arctic Sectional. You know what my choice would be, but honestly these would be your best options.

10. Masssnowfighter

from ma

The company with the best customer support is metal pless hands down. Plus they allow you to take it for a real demo before you buy, which they know full well once you try it you won't want to give it back

11. jrgsno

jrgsno Junior Member

I appreciate the feedback! Like I said before, located in nw ohio. I like the arctics, but also have done some research and seen and heard durability concerns. Any metal pless dealers close by? Price of a new 14 or 16 ft...Been looking for used ones, but obviously if they are as good as ppl say, nobody wants to get rid of them once they buy one.

12. Masssnowfighter

from ma

If you could take a metal pless live edge and attach the arctic sectional fully floating side wings it would be the best pusher ever made. Just throwing that out there in case neige is still reading this post

13. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

I used a Bobcat snow plow with side wings (welded on) for my A300 Bobcat skid steer. It had a metal cutting edge and worked awesome at scraping / cleaning up hard packed snow.

I can't imagine that a rubber edge would scrape nearly as well, nor would it last very long (but never have tried them personally).

By the way, if you are using a Bobcat skid steer and need an option for an aftermarket cab enclosure, check out www.skidsteercabs.com.

Good luck in whatever you choose. Sounds like that metal pless unit might be the way to go.