1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow pusher on truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Watch out yelow, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Watch out yelow

Watch out yelow Member

I am purchasing a gmc 4500 w series for my maintenance division this spring. We are looking to put a pusher on it instead of a plow. Truck would be 2wd cabover but only pushing in flat lots. I am thinking an 8-10 foot wide pusher, 3-4 yard capacity. Does anyone know what a good set-up is for this application. I suppose up and down is all we would need. Ive heard of guys fabricating this out of an existing plow. Does anyone produce this factory?
  2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I wouldn't reccomend it. There are plenty of used plows to be had for that truck and with a pusher you are severely limited. You can always add wings to a blade, but you can't add angle to a pusher.
  3. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I agree, I wouldn't reccomend it. However that is not to say that you couldn't makeit work for your needs. But be very aware that plowing is very addictive. I started out only doing a couple of drive's for some spare cash here and there, now it's a full blown job. I personally think that without angling capabilities, it's not worth it at all, unless all you do is large commercial lots and no residential, then it makes some sense.
  4. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

large lots get a pusher small lots get a plow
  5. Watch out yelow

Watch out yelow Member

We use pick-ups to do the driveways. This would be strictly for large lots. And you cant beat a pusher with a plow, even one with small wings. Same question.. does anyone know a snow pusher co that also munufacters mounts to hook up to this truck?
  6. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Look at an Avalanche pusher They make ones for trucks.
  7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'm recommending he stay clear of plowing with this truck. He's looking at a 2wd rig, and a pusher??? Gotta say even a straight blade will have some trouble pushing a lot of snow with that truck. Get a truck built for work
  8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

The 9' MC fisher on a dump truck has 1 1/2' wings on it. It's the same size as our 9' pusher for the skidsteer. But the wings fold up so I can use it for windrowing, etc...

I'm not talking about western pro wings, they make wings that will make your full size plow an actual pusher.
  9. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think the 2wd will handle the amount of snow the pusher will carry. You'll need 4wd.
  10. customers_snow

customers_snow Member
    from 48843

Try Arctic plows. Go on their website and see what sizes they have available.
  11. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

plow on 2wd truck

I wonder if you would have the traction to push a box full of snow? I have talked to loader drivers that have problems with 4wd loaders pushing boxes full of wet snow. Just food for thought. But if you purchased a large pusher box then the truck would not push it you could justify a large loader then.
  12. Bchsnow

Bchsnow Junior Member
    from Iowa

I think it's a great plan. I have in my fleet a '97 international 4700 "2wd" state dump truck with a modified 10' backhoe pusher. For pushing a 40+ acre lot. I had snogremlin pushers custom build the pusher to fit an existing Monroe pin type hitch plow mount. Works great truck pushes full box no problem and with the existing plow mount it floats up bouNces over obstacles and stacks 15' high. But obviously I don't do driveways.

13. rrvsnow

rrvsnow Junior Member

If you wouldn't mind, could you post some pics of the mounting system on that pusher, looks very interesting.
  14. Bchsnow

Bchsnow Junior Member
    from Iowa

Sure it's very simple

15. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Mounts like a conventional western it looks like. What kind of place do you plow 40 acres?
  16. Bchsnow

Bchsnow Junior Member
    from Iowa

Trucking terminal that they want plowed at 1".
  17. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I want one
  18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

A few guys have them here, one has a 16ft. There are a few videos are here some where. I think if you ask in the Canada thread, they can help you. (thinking JD)
  19. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

Stack 15' high?
  20. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 15ft box blade on my Volvo, it also angles. Its 2wd and does not loose traction but I usually carry a little salt in the back also. I leave it at the job site and hooks up faster then my western ultra mount.