1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow pusher on a track loader?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JimMarshall, Jan 21, 2015.

1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Does anyone run pushers on tracked machines? Pros/cons versus wheels? Considering adding to the fleet, not sure what I want to do though.

2. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Look it up! Hit search and you will find many, many threads about this topic and the never ending debate. So many variables to consider and most are mentioned in the thread. And yes, we regularly use two machines for snow work!

3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

If you buy a tracked machine, know 2 things going into it.

Even as a 2 speed, it will be slower than a wheel'd unit. At least as a Deere. I believe they top out around 8MPH in high gear.

Be prepared to buy a set of snow tracks so it will go worth a damn. That is, unless you buy a XX7 series Cat MTL, or an ASV/Terex MTL.

The above 2 reasons are why we bought wheel'd machines and Logering VTS track systems.

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

5. John_DeereGreen

What's your average snowfall? 12 foot box is a big pusher for just about any skid/track loader.

Those tracks look a lot like the ASV MTL undercarrage tracks. I bet they do help!

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I prefer wheels over tracks on snow for comfort/speed/cost of operation, but need tracks outside of winter...so we run both. Changing out to polar tracks for winter is easy on a ctl....and its not the end of the world if we have to use those track on a few dirt (non snow related) jobs at the beginning or end of season.

No other tracks will perform like the polars....other than the above mentioned Cat or ASV models.

7. John_DeereGreen

10.5 MPH would be a damn bumpy ride!!

8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Avg season is about 19" , most snows are probably 2-5" we do always plow with the storm. The way I worded my post wasn't meant to discount what you said just that in my case I really don't have too many problems. Also the picture of the tracks is close to what I have but mine are what I would term "very aggressive" meaning the roller tread depth is deep . They are also kind of rough riding on pavement. I'm not sure McClaren makes the extra wide 480 mm tracks anymore. Like others said a 2 speed track is not as fast as a 2 speed wheel, at least all my 2 speed wheels are faster than my tracks.
    Steve

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

obviously not near as smooth as a tire unit....but when I demoed a T650 bobcat w/ roller suspension, air ride seat, and 2spd, it was a better ride than what I expected. Again, not my first choice for snow...but if I could only have 1 machine for everything "we do", a CTL would hands down be the choice.

IDOCTORTREES likes this.
  10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

FWIW - Our T190 w/polar tracks has more pushing ability(push heavier load before breaking traction) than any similar class sized SS "with snow tires". With that said, the 190 weighs 1000+ lbs more than any similar class size SS....but its not as fast, not as comfortable, and costs more to operate.

When properly setup & in the right hands, you can stack some serious snow with a track machine. Also less likely to tear up turf when pushing snow further back off lots.

11. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

My issue is that while it would be nice to have the wheels for snow, I need the tracks for summer. I will look into these tracks, like I said still doing some research. Not sure whether it's worth it to buy another machine, may look into renting.

12. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Hi Jim. I bought a CTL in late september for summer and winter work. It works great, wheels are better for ride when plowing forsure.. however i dont have the capital or work to have a dedicated large tractor or loader sitting idol for the summer. As for tracks i went with camoplast SD tracks as they claim allseason tread... i have used them in mud,dirt and snow conditions and they work fine! No problem with traction!!! And the pair were cheaper then polars! My original tracks were cooked as i bought the unit used... i opted for the SDs to save $3-4k on summer treads and its not my primary machine for summer work... just my 2 cents... good luck with your decision... im happy with my choice i also find the ctls are better on thr feet with weight then wheels.. jmo