1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow pusher issues

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RNRlandscapes, Dec 3, 2014.

1. RNRlandscapes

RNRlandscapes Junior Member

Recently purchased a new 8' pusher for our skid steer. After using it the first time we noticed the steel 6" ar400 shoes were leaving scratches in the newly sealed blacktop. Anyone have any experience with such a thing?

Not sure if I need to line the shoes with polyurethane or if there is another option. It appears the bottom of the shoes was a bit rough at first and they may be wore a bit smoother now but I don't want it to be an issue for the customer going forward.

Anyone use something other than the steel shoes? I even contemplated getting 4"x4"x30" long polyurethane block to attach to the pusher as a wear shoe??? Our pusher has an 8' rubber cutting edge currently.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

When you push a block of steel across fresh tar that's gunna leave a mark. Mayb you use too much down force on the box

3. RNRlandscapes

I understand. I personally tried to vary the down pressure from very little to slightly more pressure and it still left scratches. Customer is really picky so I'm just seeing if any of you have come up with a solution.

Thanks

4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Was the skid steer in float mode?

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

set the rubber 3/4" below the shoe and don't use a lot of down pressure

6. rrvsnow

rrvsnow Junior Member

Had this issue with a loader model once,turned out to be a rough weld on seam of skid plate, right where it angles up in the back. Grinded it smooth, wasn't an issue after that. Run it across some clean and bare cement vary slowly, and you should be able to pinpoint where marks are being produced. Helper comes in handy for this. Preferably not customers cement though, haha. Running rubber 3/4" below skid idea, sounds like an easy way to prematurely spend money on rubber edges, imo.

7. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Just a question, do you know where the rubber should be adjusted to.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

1/4 below the shoes

9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I've been looking into rubber positioning due to not getting our lots scrapped down real good. I talked with some of our larger contractors in town and all say put 3/4" ply wood under the shoes then tap down the rubber till it hits the ground

10. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Attach Poly to the bottom of the skid shoes and adjust the rubber edge accordingly......The company im with has 4 or 5 pushers they use on parking decks at the airport that they require this...If im out there in the next few days I will take some pictures...Thumbs Up

11. RNRlandscapes

Just got done fabricating some new shoes with 2" thick x 6" wide UHMW. These replaced the steel shoes all together.

They turned out really well I think I will try to get some pics posted tomorrow. We shall see how the UHMW wears but on a test run down my dry street the swirls left from the saw weren't even touched! Stuff seems very heavy duty compared to poly.

12. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

Uhmw is poly?? We also made 2" thick UHMW shoes for our pusher and seems to be working good

13. RNRlandscapes

UHMW is different from polyurethane From what I ubderstand. Should last longer from what I have read.

14. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

oh its polyethalen right?

15. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Where did you get the UHMU? How did it come, roll? Sheet? What's it cost, I've never heard of it. Thanks Aaron.

16. RNRlandscapes

I bought it from midland plastics

http://www.midlandplastics.com

Cost me about $230 for (2) 48" long x 6" wide x 2" thick pieces. Even though I only needed two pieces about 32" long they said because the sheets were 48" wide the price would be the same whether they were 32" long or the sheet width (48"). I cut the UHMW with a compound miter saw (standard wood blade) and drilled slots in the homemade shoes with a 1" bit punching 3-4 holes in a row so the shoe can be adjusted down as it wears if that makes sense.

17. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

That's exactly how I do it. Make sure its sitting level and not rocked back any.

18. Protech Inc.

Protech Inc. Senior Member

RNRLandscapes,

Not sure what brand of containment plow you are using but we offer a UHMW Shoe, which is a polycarbonate padded shoe. The pads are replaceable. We have many customers that use them in parking garages, on pavers, and other sensitive surfaces.

http://snopusher.com/parts/