1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Prep Package Alternatives

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Neil64, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Hello All,

I need some help. I currently have a 95 Ford F250 with a Myers E60 Classic Mount – I think. 7.5’ blade.

I am seriously considering buying a used 2003 HD2500 Extended Cab, Long Bed 4x4 with a 6.0. This truck has the tow package but does not have VYU package. From my reading, the VYU package provides for a 145 amp alternator, wiring for a beacon light and other lights, and may come with an engine oil and transmission fluid cooler. I have also read that the Snow Plow Prep package adds in addition to the above, heavier torsion bars, heavy duty shocks, heavier front axle, special wiring connectors, high flow grill and air filter.

Further, the various local Myers Dealers state that they will not put a plow on a truck that does not have the VYU package. This kind of scared me off until I started reading posts in this forum. Are there other packages that would equip the truck with the same equipment as the snow plow prep package, minus the wiring for the various lights? Anyway to tell from the VIN – amp of alternator, suspension, etc.

I will be plowing 3-4 driveways when it snows, nothing outrageous. From the postings on this forum, it appears that most of you feel that the VYU is nice to have but not mandatory to put a plow on a truck. If that is the case, how do I get the local Myers dealer to swap the plow from my old truck to my new one or put a new one on? I guess money works but they have all told me they won’t do it. Bottom line, I don’t want to ruin a truck by plowing.

If I have to do it myself, do I just find a new frame kit for the Chevy and swap everything else?

Thanks…

Neil

2. Neil64

Neil64 Member

List of RPO codes for the truck

I just got the RPO list from the dealer that the truck has Z85 - Heavy Duty Suspension, Z82- HD Trailering Equip., NZZ Skid Plates, VR4- Hitch, C6W - GVW 9200lbs, FT3, Adj Tors Bar, GT5 4.10 Rear, G80 LSD Rear, KC4, KC4 Oil Cooler, KNP HD Trans Cooler, K47 Air Cleaner, K68 105 Amp Alternator.6GK and 7GK front Springs.

It appears there is no HD cooling package on the truck. Did Chevy offer one and what did it consist of?

So, short of the 140 AMP Alt, HD Cooling (if offered), and wiring for a beacon light, is this truck missing anything that the Snow Prep Package provides and is it cabale of handling a 7.5' Steel Myers plow?

I guess the 4.10 rears are contribtuing to my great MPG. What kind of MPG are you getting?

Thanks..

Neil

3. oakvillerex

oakvillerex Member

i have an 01 6.0 cc lb 4x4 with a blade on it and an 8 ft. drop in v box and it has no problems. if you are worried then go buy the bigger alternator it bolts right on and call it a day the truck is fine to plow with have no worries just a couple of turns on the t bars will make the front sit nice and proud while you carry the blade

Jeff

4. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Rpo

Thanks for the feedback. Does my truck contain most of what comprises the VYU package? Is there such a thing as HD cooling on these trucks?

What kind of MPG do you get unloaded with no blade?

Thanks..

Neil

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

That 2003 is great for plowing, no problems at all...a 7.5' blade shouldn't be any big deal at all. I run an 8' Fisher HD on my 2000 2500 ecsb (also without the plow package, but I have the 4.10's, tow package, etc.) and it works fine and dandy. Give the torsion bars 4 full turns and you'll be good to go.

If the Meyers dealer won't install it without the VYU package go to another one or DIY.

FYI I get about 12-13 mpg unloaded, no blade.

6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

if its a 3/4ton ur blade will be no problem for it. if its a half ton thats when the snow plow prep gives u the bigger gvw and all the good junk. dealers r funny about somethings just go some place eles.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For the most part, yes. The only thing your missing is the larger alternator and the plow prep fan clutch since the truck already has the Z82 and Z85 package, which gives you the extra oil and trans cooling.

There wasn't an actual "heavy duty cooling" option on the HD's, BUT if you ordered the VYU plow prep it did come with a specific clutch for the engine fan (or at least they were suppose to :D ) in order to deal with the air restriction that a plow will add to the front of the truck..

All I'd do is just add the fan clutch and maybe give the torsion bars a couple of turns and go at that..

8. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

maybe some of you missed, he is doing 3-4 driveways, who cares if it has the plow prep

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'm assuming he does..as he did ask.

10. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Thanks

Thanks eveyone. I feel better about putting a plow on this truck. I just got it and am now a little concerned about the MPG. The person I bought it from said he was getting 17 on the highway. The truck has a cap so I'll see.

With all of this good info, I am sure I can convince a Myers dealer to do the swap or maybe I'll try to do it myself...

Thanks a bunch.

Neil

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good luck with the install Neil. Let us know how it turns out.

I'd say the seller stretched the truth a bit there Neil, I doubt you'll ever see 17 mpg out of it... more like 14....on a good day with a tail wind.:D

12. Neil64

Neil64 Member

RPOs

All,

I just realized that the GM Vehicle Inquiry System - Vehicle Build that the dealer printed for me has a mistake. It lists AE7 - leather seating surfaces which I do not have. Now I am wondering if there any more mistakes; ones that might make it risky to add a plow. As I do not have the original window sticker or invoice, is there any source to obtain the options my truck has?

Short of getting good data, are there any tell tales signs of Z85 - Heavy Duty Suspension, Z82- HD Trailering Equip., NZZ Skid Plates, VR4- Hitch, C6W - GVW 9200lbs, FT3, Adj Tors Bar, GT5 4.10 Rear, G80 LSD Rear, KC4, KC4 Oil Cooler, KNP HD Trans Cooler, K47 Air Cleaner, K68 105 Amp Alternator.6GK and 7GK front Springs?

Thanks..

Neil

13. Neil,
    All of the RPO's on your truck should be on a sticker affixed to the inside of your glove box door. If that's missing, I'd be concerned.

14. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Plowing a few driveways with a 7.5' blade...so long as its actually a 3/4 ton and not a half ton in disguise there is very little in the way of options that may not be on there that could compromise your ability to do what you want to do.

All you need is 4 wheel drive, the rest of your truck is just fine for what you want to do (and probabyl a good deal more). I wouldn't sweat it. I have basically the same truck but its not an HD and I'm using an 8' plow...no problems. Doesn't overheat, doesn't hit the stops on the suspension, doesn't burn the tranny or anyhting else bad...it just works.

15. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Thanks Everyone

It looks like I will have to return this truck to the dealer as they are unable to get a clear title. If that is the case maybe I'll shop for a diesel this time. From what I read, it appears you can get away with a plow, even on a crew cab.

Thanks everyone for the help and I'll let you know what happens.

Neil

16. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

Hold on....Be aware of the fact that there are NO plow packages for any crew cab diesels. Only 6.0 gas crew cabs.

With that being said, I don't see a reason why a crew cab diesel can't handle a 7.5 plow. Other than warranty issues.

17. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Diesels

I understand the warranty issues and I will likely not be able to afford anything still under warranty anyway but so many people are using them to plow and I only plan on doing 3-4 driveways a snowfall. Budget wise, I'll be lucky to get an extended cab with a 6.0. The diesel is wishfull thinking.

Thanks..

Neil