1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow predictions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cward05, Nov 24, 2004.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

Hey everyone,
    Anyone have any predictions to when a plowable snow will come to Connecticut? I am getting a bit impatience cause I tried plowing once for the first time two weeks ago when we had the 3 incher, and now have the bug!

2. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

You are lucky. I am north of you, in New Hampshire, and we haven't had any. Imagine how we feel when we are used to snow in October... thru May. :rolleyes:

I can't wait for it to snow.

3. gmack616

gmack616 Member

its the last week of november and it is 62 degrees outside right now ( 7:30pm) in the d.c. area. this soooo abnormally wierd. i was already snowboarding this time last year, the temprature is twice what it was last year. maybe the earh it moving closer to the sun :eek:

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Combination of El Nino past peak and global warming. East coast "usually" does better durring a La Nino (the opposite of a El Nino in ocean water temp differentail)

5. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

On Long Island your lucky to get plowable snow before the new year

6. White Oak

White Oak Member

So are we in La Nina or El Nino - Hate to jinx everyone but this is my first year and spent alot of $ getting ready so chances are it won't snow at all on long island.

7. Tarkus

We are coming off of a El Nino right now but they are unsure how many months it will take before water temp is at normal again before La Nino hits (two to three year cycle) and this unsettled data will determine winter outcome somewhat. The lastest odd I have heard for your area is below to near normal snowfall and normal to below normal temps but nothing is set in stone anyway.

8. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

We are located on the east coast of Canada and it is 64 degrees here and raining. This storm came through Ontario and Quebec and dropped lots of snow but just warm temps and rain for us....supposed to get cold tonight, maybe we can do some salting on puddles freezing over.

9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

They keep predicting colder for the east coast and warmer for the west for this winter,but so far its been pretty damn warm.I checked the accua weather forecast for the next two weeks and still in the 40s and some 50s for connecticut.No real big chance for snow anytime soon. But then again since when can they predict the weather right.

10. Tarkus

I never placed much faith in accuweather myself. They get there data from NWS and form their own opinion which at least around here, is rarely correct in snow fall amounts.

11. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Id bet that global warming has very little to do with anything. I have heard near normal snow fall for the east coast and slightly below normal temperatures. Its warm now so what, by the beginning to middle of december, it will be cold and it will snow in the east anyways.

12. Tarkus

Do not be so sure of yourself. The average global temp has increased more in last 20 year that it has since the started keeping records in the mid 1800's before that. We are "cooking" this planet with CO2 more every year.

13. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

I agree...that's why I get mad at people who leave their cars on forever when they go do something when they can just shut 'em off. Then again, I have a beast of a truck (83 chevy k10) that probably spits out more emissions than any normal car ever would...but then I think of how much fun and enjoyment I get out of it and it's all good!

14. paponte

paponte Senior Member

No acorns!! = No snow!! hehe. Not too sure about this year for us. Nothing like last year I don't think. :cry:

15. bolensdriver

Global warming, only increases by a temperature they said? That's like saying, if it's 20 degrees, it's now 21 degrees. The problem areas is the places that are 32 degree (at the end of the ice bergs), and then it goes to 33 degrees, and the ice melts.

16. Tarkus

Problem the icecaps are starting to melt now. If average global temps increase another 2 or 3 degrees C in next 20 to 30 years we can see massive changes in weather patterns and in farming. It is a time bomb waiting for someone to defuse it or let it go off.

17. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I just rebuilt 6 of my Western Pro Series blades. I put new shocks, springs, cutting edges, marker flags and snow deflectors, hoses and fittings on each one. Cost me about $500 per blade. I also put new motors and spinner assemblies on 4 of my Meyers 36000 spreaders, so you can figure that we won't get any snow here in New Jersey this season... :cry:

18. bolensdriver

I don't like to think of things like that. Part of the problem is automobiles. Is snowplowing stopping it? Certainly not. :nod:

19. buddy markley

buddy markley Junior Member
    from Ohio

Global warming because of Co2?

Its been found that the polar caps on MArs have been melting as well, if this is the case and since there are no C02 causing vehicles there then one would believe that the sun is just getting hotter.

I think it is just a cycle that the sun is going thru and has gone thru before .

:nod:

20. Tarkus

I never said it was the case or a big factor in it. We were talking about climate change though.