1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jpeters, Sep 20, 2004.

1. jpeters

jpeters Junior Member

This site is great for the beginner. I am looking at starting the snow removal business. I have a 4 accounts lined up for the winter if I want them. My question is what kind of plow is the best? I am located in Southern Indiana, therefore my only options are either a Boss Snow Plow or a Curtis. Those are the two closest dealers. I have a GMC 2500HD regular cab long bed with the 8.1 liter. Gas hog but plenty of power. Also looking for any free advice and anyone else in this area for a possible rate to charge. Thanks!

2. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I would say since your just starting out look for a used plow. most dealers can get parts for most plows. Not sure what to charge in your area but if you give the size of drive ways people can can plobly give you a close estimate.

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Curtis and Boss are both great plows. I have a curtis 7'6" and like it alot, i especially like the mounting system. The mount is very low profile compared to the boss mount which hangs a little too low for my liking. with that said both mount/dismount in the matter of 30 seconds. I would get an 8' to an 8.5' plow for the 2500HD depending on what kind of plowing you plan on doing. You wont want to have a huge plow to run in driveways. I would get a new plow, i don't know why anyone would recommend a used plow unless you specifically said you were looking for one. That way you know the plow is good and redy for you to use. Good Luck!!! :waving:

4. jpeters

jpeters Junior Member

Thanks for the input and keep it coming!! And pray for SNOW! One other question....Which style of plow should I buy...V-plow or straight blade. What are all of the advantages and disadvantages?

5. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

It's not impossible to find a used plow in good condition.

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

curtis the 8ft that plow is worth the money check there website out

7. jpeters

jpeters Junior Member

Yeah I looked at both Curtis and Boss websites. Both look like good plows..What is the advantage of the V-plows...I will be doing both commercial lots and driveways so should I get a V-plow or a Straight blade and how much should I expect to spend? Thanks in advance for replying

8. PLOWMAN45

the v's prob run 4500 to 5000 vs a straight blade 3500 to 4000

9. jpeters

jpeters Junior Member

Is the V-plow worth that much more?

10. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Personally I would go with a straight blade and a set of Pro-Wings....

11. PLOWMAN45

I dont think a v plow is worth that much money even the towns trucks dont sport v plows

12. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Start with the dealer closest to your home or office and see what they carry. If you have a problem, it will be easier to manage. I have been plowing snow for 20 years, bought alot of used equipment and have not had any problems with the major brands. I have also used Northman and Hiniker with no problems. ALL plows except the cheap ones have advantages and drawbacks. BUT, if it doesn't work, you want the solution close by. Good luck.

13. DJC

DJC Senior Member

check out the Blizzards....... :waving:

14. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Amen on the Blizzards, especially the expandable blade. If this winter is strong, I'm going for a new 3500 4x4 dually dump just to push a new blizzard, I don't care where the dealer is!

15. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

The Boss :nod: